Mortite/flammability?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
Someone here mentioned using Mortite for drafts. Since I have an overabundance of those, I got some and started at one of my pet peeve places - the joint between two floorboards that happens to be about a foot in front of the hearth. So, after carefully stuffing gobs of this stuff, which is like a rope of putty, into the crack in the floor, it dawns on me that possibly this stuff is flammable and this location may not be advisable, if that is the case. Anyone have any ideas on that? They don't list what it is made out of and a quick google search didn't turn up anything... I've given up trying to figure out why I always think of these things AFTER the fact :blank:

Can't say for sure. It has a flash point of 305°F according to the MSDS. Is it possible to seal these cracks from the underside of the floor?

BeGreen said:
Can't say for sure. It has a flash point of 305°F according to the MSDS. Is it possible to seal these cracks from the underside of the floor?

Not really, it's just a crawlspace, not even deep enough for a person to navigate in places.

Thanks for finding that out, looks like I'll go rip it out.

Ah yes, our house was like that before the new foundation. I'm surprised I didn't get trapped in our crawlspace at times I had to work in there. Now I have a minimum of 4ft. Much better!

Is there no sub-flooring underneath the final floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.