Most common parts that fail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madge69

Nov 18, 2010
central ma
Hi all,

I was considering buying a spare part or two to put on the shelf for when they fail. What are the most commonly replaced parts? I have a 2008 VistaFlame VF100.

I was thinking ignitor and/or auger motor, but given the cost, would like to be as sensible as possible.

Thanks...

I let my dealer stock my spare parts. But if I were to stock any it would be an ignitor.

Hi all,

I was considering buying a spare part or two to put on the shelf for when they fail. What are the most commonly replaced parts? I have a 2008 VistaFlame VF100.

I was thinking ignitor and/or auger motor, but given the cost, would like to be as sensible as possible.

Thanks...

I've got the same stove;been using it since the 2006 winter. I would stock an igniter, combustion fan ,and gaskets for the combustion and convection(room air) fan. The gaskets get ruined when you take the fans off for cleaning. The combustion fan needs to come off once a year because alot of ash builds up behind it and you can't get at the stuff without taking the fan and motor off. The convection fan comes off to clean the vanes off because they get coated with dirt and dust.That will cause the rotor to spin out of balance and the unit will fail early. I went 5 years before my igniter failed so you can get lulled into forgetting that the things do go. My combustion fan went after 4 years because I didn't know about the ash building up behind it. The owner's manual doesn't give alot of cleaning info --good for the parts dept. and service techs out there-- bad for the owners.

I let my dealer stock my spare parts. But if I were to stock any it would be an ignitor.
I'm one of smoke show's biggest fans but I will respectfully disagree with this advice. No need to stock your own ignitor, as if your original fails, your stove is still operable by lighting it with gel or a torch while you wait until you get the replacement. Should you decide that it is prudent to lay down your hard earned Benjamins for some spare parts, go for a couple of blowers and/or an auger moter. (if your dealer stores their pellets outside, definately consider having an auger motor on hand- grrrr. When these parts decide to go, you are without a stove. Just my humble but well thought out advice. But it's your money and your choice! Enjoy.

I'm one of smoke show's biggest fans but I will respectfully disagree with this advice. No need to stock your own ignitor, as if your original fails, your stove is still operable by lighting it with gel or a torch while you wait until you get the replacement. Should you decide that it is prudent to lay down your hard earned Benjamins for some spare parts, go for a couple of blowers and/or an auger moter. (if your dealer stores their pellets outside, definately consider having an auger motor on hand- grrrr. When these parts decide to go, you are without a stove. Just my humble but well thought out advice. But it's your money and your choice! Enjoy.
That makes sense, in theory. But the parts for the VF100 come from a warehouse in N.H., if the dealer doesn't have it. If the warehouse doesn't have it, it comes from B.C. Canada. That happened to me and it took 2 weeks to get it. Things don't go through U.S. Customs very fast because of Homeland Security and 911. Some online retailers carry the parts, but I prefer to go through the dealer because he knows my stove and the parts I need. Even if you go online it will take a few days to get the parts. That's a long time in the winter.

I'm one of smoke show's biggest fans but I will respectfully disagree with this advice. No need to stock your own ignitor, as if your original fails, your stove is still operable by lighting it with gel or a torch while you wait until you get the replacement.
I'm one of CT's biggest fans but will respectfully disagree with this advice. Because in MY situation I would have to manually relight my stove everytime it does an autoclean cycle. ;)

I'm one of CT's biggest fans but will respectfully disagree with this advice. Because in MY situation I would have to manually relight my stove everytime it does an autoclean cycle. ;)
Shoulda bought a smart stove!!!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Enviro (vista flame) uses a 400w x 1/2" heater cartridge for that igniter, very very hearty. Replace maybe 1 or 2 a year out of hundreds. If I were to stock a part for that baby I would go with an auger bushing and plate and low limit switch as well a new skin for the control panel....if you have money to invest, get a combustion motor or control board but you may be holding on to those for a while. The auger motor will last the life of the machine if you take care to maintain the bushing. Oil the convection motor and that will last forever too.

And FYI, any part for an enviro meridian is 100% interchangeable

Enviro (vista flame) uses a 400w x 1/2" heater cartridge for that igniter, very very hearty. Replace maybe 1 or 2 a year out of hundreds. If I were to stock a part for that baby I would go with an auger bushing and plate and low limit switch as well a new skin for the control panel....if you have money to invest, get a combustion motor or control board but you may be holding on to those for a while. The auger motor will last the life of the machine if you take care to maintain the bushing. Oil the convection motor and that will last forever too.

And FYI, any part for an enviro meridian is 100% interchangeable

According to the Enviro Web Site the OEM Igniter for the Meridian and all VF models is 300 watt.

The 1/2" diameter probably includes the housing. I believe the heater element is the standard 3/8" diameter inside.

Attachments

• EnviroIgniter.jpg
    EnviroIgniter.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 228
According to the Enviro Web Site the OEM Igniter for the Meridian and all VF models is 300 watt.

The 1/2" diameter probably includes the housing. I believe the heater element is the standard 3/8" diameter inside.
You are correct. The price for the critter is about $125 as my memory(not perfect) goes. It is not fun to put in. I responded to a thread about my experience putting one in myVF100. I will repost that if you want.

Don, you are wrong. 400w 1/2 diameter.....how much you want to wager?. All of the EF series stoves use 300w, everything else's except for early versions of the Evolution (EF V) or the Solis (EF IV) has the 50-619 igniter which is NOT 300w and is not 3/8 diameter.

http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Enviro_and_Vistaflame_400W_Ignitor_115V_p/50-619.htm

There is no housing on this. Well, there is, but it is attached to the stove and is a separate part. Don't trust the Enviro website....fraught with errors.

Don, you are wrong. 400w 1/2 diameter.....how much you want to wager?. All of the EF series stoves use 300w, everything else's except for early versions of the Evolution (EF V) or the Solis (EF IV) has the 50-619 igniter which is NOT 300w and is not 3/8 diameter.

http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Enviro_and_Vistaflame_400W_Ignitor_115V_p/50-619.htm

There is no housing on this. Well, there is, but it is attached to the stove and is a separate part. Don't trust the Enviro website....fraught with errors.
The owner's manual(available online)has the correct part number if you don't already have it.

No, Don is correct. We're talking about the VistaFlame VF100 ignitor which is part number 50-1067 and 300W. That's what the manual says. The link you posted for the 400W even states it's not for this stove.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.