Most Cords split in a season with a maul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
A bit bored and curious to know what the most wood you guys have split just using a maul in one season. I have 8 split right now and plan on getting another 10-15 by summers end, but this could change depending on how I feel. It seems that craigslist has had an almost endless supply of free wood here in the Cincinnati area and I'm taking advantage of it. I like the idea of a challenge and even though a log splitter would free up my Sam Adams hand I think there would be more satisfaction and blisters, doing it with a maul. Besides, a work hat with twin beer holders works fine for right now. Give me some numbers to shoot for here, keep in mind, this is part time only.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
1st year I was in business I did 130 cord with a Stihl 66 mag and monster maul all by my lonesome.

Now that would make a great picture. What is this "monster maul" you speak of? Will it work better than the 8# weakling I've been using? I'm willing to try something that may work better.

On on the Seventh Day, he rested.

Rockey said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
1st year I was in business I did 130 cord with a Stihl 66 mag and monster maul all by my lonesome.

Now that would make a great picture. What is this "monster maul" you speak of? Will it work better than the 8# weakling I've been using? I'm willing to try something that may work better.

Northern catalog sells them but under a different name. It's a 12 lb beheamoth but it works slicker than cold snot off a brass door knob! It has a steel handle that will "never" break even if you run over it with a skidder!

LEES WOOD-CO said:

Either the govenator has an arch-nemesis or there is a mental defect! How in the heck could you do that, I have done 6 cords after work in a n month period after work and weekends and after 6 years went to a splitter to make wood "easy!" I can not imagine the level of exhaustion you must have been in!

Saw 12lbers like that at Ace Hardware, didn't like the shorter handle though, 8lb with hickory seems to work well for me. That's an unbelievable amount of wood Lees

burntime said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:

Either the govenator has an arch-nemesis or there is a mental defect! How in the heck could you do that, I have done 6 cords after work in a n month period after work and weekends and after 6 years went to a splitter to make wood "easy!" I can not imagine the level of exhaustion you must have been in!

Company I worked for went on strike in Oct. and never voted a new contract in til April. My frustrations about the union were taken out on 280 acres of woods. Most of the wood was cherry and ash and made for some easy splittin' in below freezing weather. Not only that but I was 19.

From the time I was 14 till 18 I split 10 cord a month with a maul. I don't like the steel handled maul though. Just don't like the feel. Now a days I do about 3-4 cord a year by hand wonder how I used be able to do so much. I'm not that much older but I guess my desk job has something to do with it.

Holy crap! You guys must have some Paul Bunyan blood in ya. I don't think I could do 10 cord per month with a 30 ton hydraulic splitter. :lol:

We are talking full 4x4x8 cords and not face cords right?

:ahhh: I thought 6 cords was good in one summer! :down:

Agree had a friend who has the 12lb mual with metal handle just doesn't feel good in your hand!

LEES WOOD-CO said:

That is awesome! I cannot wait until my son becomes old enough (+/- 13 yrs) to become old enough to try and duplicate the task! Until then, I may need to find myself one of them splittin machines...

Back in the late '70's I'd split 20 cords over a couple a months time...did that for a couple a 3 years.

Then I started saving the wood and rented a splitter for the weekend to split it all at once but that was even harder on the body. Finally convinced myself a splitter is an investment...and it was, it's still splitting after 25 years.

I started splitting wood when I was about 12. It wasn't by choice, but necessity/chore. When my stepfather came around when I was about 14 he was selling cord word. REAL cord wood 4X4X8. Him and I did 10 cord a weekend, he did alot of the cutting and I did a lot of the splitting. He'd drag the wood to the landing during the week with an old Farmall tractor, it was all we had but it worked, and Sat and Sun we'd buck, split, load and deliver. I'm sure we didn't do 10 every weekend, that's why I'm estimating 10 a month by myself. We did that for a couple years and then found it more sensible to just buy it by the truck load in log length. Delivered to the house thru a couple of friends it averaged at the time $30-$40 a cord depending who we got it from. Then he went one step further and instead of selling by the cord we sold it by the bundle to stores and campgrounds. IT TRIPLED the profit by selling it by the bundle and buying log length. Then after I graduated and got a "real" job and the family decided to move to Cleveland the business got sold. Now I just split wood for myself, between 3-4 real cords a year.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Rockey said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:

Northern catalog sells them but under a different name. It's a 12 lb beheamoth but it works slicker than cold snot off a brass door knob! It has a steel handle that will "never" break even if you run over it with a skidder!

The Northern maul won't break, but it WILL slowly bend w/ enough use... I've probably done 15+ cords w/ mine and the handle is probably 5-10* out of square with the head.... The thing still works good though. Far easier than a sledge and wedgie, and seems to do better for me than a light weight maul... In red oak, barring knots, I get one-two strokes / split, pretty consistently.

I do agree that it would be better with a longer handle, give it even more impact speed.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.