Most wood hand split in a day....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsenalDon

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Meadow Valley, CA
So today, without killing myself and only using my Fiskars (with the exception of one round that had 8 branches that had grown out of it and I needed the steel wedge) in 3 hours I split 3/4 of a cord.......Which lead me to think, without killing yourself for 8 hours, by hand...what is the most you have split in a day?

Reactions: raybonz and ScotO
Sorta like asking how far / fast have ya run in a day. In general, this depends on how close the lion who wants to take a bite out of your ass is.

That said, I've had my most productive splitting when I knew there were thunderstorms coming, snow coming, on a time frame and need to get X number of loads done in a day and still have time for a few beers, etc.

However, there are a lot of variables. I have blown through a cord in an afternoon or evening easily before, when it cooperated. I've spent a whole afternoon or evening on a face (1/3 cord) of nasty beech working even harder.

With so many variables, the only thing I've ever measured is how much gas in my saw it takes to cut up a load worth of wood for my truck. In general, when cutting hardwoods, I've found that doesn't vary much.

Also, after a bunch of counting last summer, a good buddy and I who often cut / split together found on average, for the size of our splits, a cord was between 410-440 splits.

But for how long it will take to split up that truck load, well, that depends

pen

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Dont know, i never split any by hand, its tough enough splitting them with a machine let alone without.

Pft wow that's a tuff one ! I started at 6:30 am one day last winter and went till 9pm but I stopped drank beer Chatted with the neighbor in there too sooo I got no idea

Pete

Never measured after splitting. I'm sure it ain't even close to a cord. All of my wood is split by hand and done at a pace in which I'm not killing myself.

Reactions: TreePapa
Dont know, i never split any by hand, its tough enough splitting them with a machine let alone without.
If I recall correctly, the technical term for "splitting wood by hand" is the "karate chop".

Reactions: Don Williams
Was always to tired to measure.
Several wheel barrow loads for sure. ;)

So today, without killing myself and only using my Fiskars (with the exception of one round that had 8 branches that had grown out of it and I needed the steel wedge) in 3 hours I split 3/4 of a cord.......Which lead me to think, without killing yourself for 8 hours, by hand...what is the most you have split in a day?

Unfortunately I can't think of any activity I can do for 8 hours straight, so I have no idea.

It all depends on the wood you are chopping. With nice straight grain wood, I can do a cord a day. When I hit elm or dry locust I will be lucky to get half a chord. A few years ago I started using a tire to chop in. It saves a lot of time and energy.

I knew this was a question that had many variables. The only reason I knew exactly how much I split is that I was immediately throwing it on to a 9X4 foot pallet we got from the lumber yard so the measurement was easy. Today it was a steady diet of P Pine withe just a few rounds of Doug Fir thrown in for fun. Most of it was fairly knot free but a few of the rounds had the ol' Fiskars bounce right off.

I can do a cord in about 2-3 hours on average...If I were to go for 8 hours I might get 1.5 cord. Usually pretty gassed after the first one. I split 1/2 cord of black locust with the maul last weekend in about an hour, but it was nice stuff and most rounds only needed quartered.

Depends a LOT on the wood you are splitting (species, size) and how big/small you like your splits.

I try to stick to a one tree at a time rule. Meaning, I don't start on another tree until I've downed, bucked, split, and cleaned up the previous one. So, I'd say I'll usually average splitting about a half cord in a day which is about an average haul from one tree. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I also don't tend to split for long periods at a time. I'll run a tank in saw, split what I cut, saw some more, etc. I like to change it up.

I would love to watch some one hand split at a rate of 1/2 cord an hour. Holy crap, you must be in some kind of good shape and that maul must be flying! My hand splitting days are over due to a shoulder injury which occurred while splitting. I loved the work and miss it....but I was no where near the productivity that some of you claim. I much prefer to work at a comfortable pace and for as long as I feel like it that day....could be all day or could be a 1/2 hour.

I split and stacked a little better then a cord yesterday.
All the rounds were were stacked right there.
I used 6 chopping blocks and stacked as I went.

I held off the beer till close to quitting time.
I don't know how long it took cause I started and stopped several times.

mostly Cherry and Sycamore. Some hackberry and elm I had to start with a noodle.

And,

Yes I do walk a little funny today.::P

Reactions: ScotO
I was completely exhausted from splitting with a machine for 8 hours,WHILE SEATED .I can imagine swinging an ax for the same time period.

I would love to watch some one hand split at a rate of 1/2 cord an hour.

Its not that bad if you have a big pile of rounds right there close, some easy splitting wood, and aren't stacking. I couldn't sustain that pace all day...maybe two hours tops with a 15 minute break in between.

WHen im machine splitting i hire a guy to feed me the rounds on one side of me and stack the splits in between.very efficient.WHen im done splitting all the wood is already stacked.

One day, I hand split 5 cords while drinking a 24 pack. The frustrating part is when I woke up the next morning, erm afternoon, someone stole all but a small pile overnight.

I've split 5 to 6 cord by hand in a day before......back when I was just dating the wife (mid-90's), her dad had a mountain of rounds laying in the front yard. It was a hot sunny day, and being a young buck out to impress the lady, I took my shirt off and had at it........all damm day!
Drank lotsa water, had lotsa blisters on my hands, got tanned to a dark brown, soaked my jeans and boots completly with sweat....but I did that whole mountain of rounds.

My ploy to get her hot and bothered worked too, as she was feeling frisky that night. Problem was, I was too damm tired to take advantage of that friskiness and I passed out around 7:30 that evening!! And MAN was I sore the next day!

Spent a winter in northern Montanna dont know how much in a day but it was the only heat source.

Was she wearing a straw hat and a blue checkered shirt and drinking an ice cold pepsi while she watched ya Scotty :)
OH, MAN I WISH! With 'dem Daisy Dukes on..
dreamy-eyes-smiley.gif
drool-smiley.gif
..DAMMIT...:eek:
Where was I?:rolleyes:

If she would've had that get-up on, I'd have cut my toes off in an instant.....>>

Back when I was growing up...probably 12 or 13...I was out cutting wood with my dad one day (actually LOTS of days...but just this one comes to mind). He had (actually still has) a trailer that goes behind the tractor. It is 4x8 with 2' sides. He took off back to the house to empty the trailer and I had enough of a big cherry tree split up in that time to more than fill the trailer. Probably 30 minutes total.

Status
Not open for further replies.