Mother-in-Law and Pellett Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Okay, I know what you're thinking but its not that. What do you pellet burners folks think of a pellet stove for a senior citizen with not so much strength. Once a bag is loaded, is it feasible to load by small amount, say the size of a large coffee can?

There is an existing fireplace/chimney, 36 W x 25 3/4 H in front, 25 W at rear. There is a 60 W x 14 deep hearth in front, about 6-8" off ground..

Its definitely possible. Just leave a bin of pellets near the stove she can scoop from. Just make sure she doesnt take so long refilling the stove that the fire goes out because the auger is disabled while the hopper door is open.

We have a square shaped pellet 'bucket' wrapped in like a leather with a handle. It holds about half a bag but is quite heavy itself when full. It has a plastic scooper in there that we scoop pellets into the stove to refill. That part is easy.

So when the stove is empty I usually pour lets call it 2/3 of the bag into the hopper (supposedly hopper holds whole bag but I don't see it) and the remaining third into the pellet "bucket" and sit that beside the stove. When the pellets get low we scoop in as needed and then repeat the procedure either pouring the new bag into the bucket or hopper itself if the stove is almost out.

Status
Not open for further replies.