1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Mother Nature = Shoulder Season Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by thewoodlands, Apr 20, 2013.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I was just warming up a bowl of chili when I heard the thud, the 20 ton splitter is on the right of the tree, once the wind calms down I'll check for damage.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Might be a sticky clean up this time of the year ;)
    raybonz and zap like this.
  3. thewoodlands

Down on the ground in the pic on the left side is a pine I dropped last spring, I finally peeled my gloves off the stump last Nov.
    Backwoods Savage and PapaDave like this.
  4. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Hope the tree didnt take revenge on the splitter.
  5. thewoodlands

I don't think it did but will check once this wind calms down for good. Last weekend when I brought it back from splitting the beech, I stored it down about six feet from where I originally do.
  6. thewoodlands

Took a couple of quick pics, the wind gust only hit when you decide to go outside.

Attached Files:

loon and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Spruce do that around here.
    Makes things interesting on windy days.!!!
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Looks like you lucked out this time zap. Good luck on the wind. It was not as strong today as yesterday but is supposed to stay windy at least through Tuesday here. I've never been a lover of wind...

We also had a ground cover of snow and it has been spitting snow off and on all day again. But the temperature is now up to 36 so not bad. Definitely will get cold tonight.
    ScotO likes this.
  9. thewoodlands

Sunday will be a good day for cutting, in the low 40's with sun, winds about 8-10 mph. I usually move one splitter to a safe area if we have high winds moving in, looks like I'll go back to that.
  10. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Close one zap... We have some debris, only minor. Will have to light a fire tonight going down to mid to upper 20's with wind.
  11. thewoodlands

This had to come down because of some damage Mother Nature did earlier this year. We used the rhino with two tree savers,winch and the cable.

The drop went just like we wanted it to go, some went for firewood and the bigger part will be milled. I'll have lots of chipping to do from this.

The wife made a good call on this when she said it needed to come down, where it Y'd, it already started to split.

I'm not sure if I put this up but if you need to remove pine pitch from your hands just use veggie or canola oil, it takes it off without any problem.

Attached Files:

loon, ScotO and PapaDave like this.
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Wow, that was a close call! Just saw this post for the first time. You sure do have your hands full this summer, Zappy. With all that wood that's down on your property, I may have to load the saws and head up for a week to help out!:)
    zap likes this.
  13. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Now that's a nice work area that you have there...
    zap likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

Load them up Scotty, plenty of room & wood down for a week!::P
    ScotO likes this.
  15. thewoodlands

Thanks Ram 1500. We've been working in that area the last two years, it seems like once we get it looking like we want it Mother Nature creates more work.

I'm actually thinking of making a new splitting area west of this area, that area is about 150 yards from this.
  16. thewoodlands

I ran both piles of pine through the chipper today,(boy did it rain) both piles of chips went on the trail going to the bowl. Since it was raining so hard I decided to burn some of the bigger stuff.

Attached Files:

ScotO likes this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Or as I've always stated, Miracle Whip works wonders and it takes very little. One can also use margarine and there are other things that can work well too.
    zap likes this.
  18. thewoodlands

I was always wondering why the bar never seemed to be real pitchy after cutting White Pine, I'm thinking the Canola Oil that I run in the saws for the bar oil helps.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  19. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Do you use straight canola oil?
  20. thewoodlands

Yes, straight Canola Oil (Wesson) for the bar oil. This will be my third year running it (smokin gave me the idea) so far not a problem.

Better for your health (just my thoughts) and the environment. Even when running the Canola Oil the ratios seem to be the same (when filling up the gas) still more Canola Oil than gas.