Motion detector...false alarms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr

Feeling the Heat
Jan 14, 2006
Central Indiana
Anyone have a security system Passive InfraRed (PIR) detector in the same room with the stove? Do you have problems with it causing false alarms? Do you bypass it when stove is in use?

Thanks.

Funny you should ask this question. My wife and I were concerned that the flames might set off our motion detector so we did a test last night while the fire was "raging". The alarm was not tripped. I'm not sure what kind of motion detector it is, but it did not go off.

Usually with motion detectors an object has to pass between two "zones" of the detector's window. The IR radiation of the stove shouldn't set it off unless the conditions for it are ideal - like if the stove and detector were positioned such that it was right on the line of one of the detectors "zones". You should be able to turn down the sensitivity of the detector if it becomes a problem..

80s Burnout said:
Funny you should ask this question. My wife and I were concerned that the flames might set off our motion detector so we did a test last night while the fire was "raging". The alarm was not tripped. I'm not sure what kind of motion detector it is, but it did not go off.

Thanks for the reply. I bypassed the sensor during our first overnight burn since installing alarm. The install manual suggests not pointing the PIR at sources of heat, but the ideal location to cover a hallway and garage man-door includes our corner fireplace where insert is installed. Guess I'll have to do some testing myself.

No chance to do any testing until today (I DID enjoy the Indian summer here in IN, though!). While no events triggered with stove (~400F) and blower (high speed) running, I was able to easily trip the PIR by diverting the hot air stream a bit with my hand as it exited the stove.

I am not confident that it will not trip on it's own as I only watched the PIR for a few minutes (has LED that lights up in test mode when motion detected). So, I'll either have to remember to bypass that zone before arming every time the stove is running or move the detector to a spot that doesn't see the stove/hot air stream. My guess is it will be the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.