Motor for a splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to replace a 10 horse Briggs engine.
What brands are the masses using for replacement engines?
How are the Harbor freight engines.
Any better options?
I would imagine that I would need the shaft size .. what else?
Thanks
Sean

Last edited:
How are the Harbor freight engines.

I don't know how their replacement parts are, but a while ago I picked up a tap and die set there because it was a fantastic price. I tried it out the other day and actually stripped the threads off of a tap trying to tap an aluminum heat sink. Tried to rethread a zinc steel screw with a die, and the threads ripped out of it even faster.

I don't know what I was thinking buying stuff there, but I won't be thinking it again any time soon. (I mean, what is that garbage even made of that aluminum strips it out? Zinc plated used bubblegum? That's not even an example of a bad quality tool; that's an example of fraudulent business practices.)

Reactions: D8Chumley
We have a 6hp harbor freight engine on the splitter. The first one was utter trash. The carb would leak gas constantly. As soon as it shut off it would flood.
Couldn't find any parts for it online so we called harbor freight they said they didn't have any. But bring it in and they would give us a new one free.
I was pretty skeptical, but what the heck. Stuck it on there last year and it hasn't had a problem. Starts first or second pull every time, has as much power as any other 5hp engine. I'm happy with the money that was spent.

Pay attention to the pump size as that relates to HP required. Shaft size and mounting pattern for the pump housing is also important. Depending on how it is mounted, shaft LENGTH should also be noted.
Basically...
HP required
Mounting pattern of pump mount
Shaft Diameter
Shaft Length

If all that aligns, you should have a good replacement.

Pay attention to the pump size as that relates to HP required. Shaft size and mounting pattern for the pump housing is also important. Depending on how it is mounted, shaft LENGTH should also be noted.
Basically...
HP required
Mounting pattern of pump mount
Shaft Diameter
Shaft Length

If all that aligns, you should have a good replacement.
Yep, we retrofitted. It was originally built by my grand father and connected to the PTO of his farmall. All the internationals got sold and we were in a pickle. Picked up the 5hp HF special and it all seemed great until we ran it. And the cylinder moved slower than a snake in the winter.
Then we had to change the pump. Go figure, knowledge or experience will all get you there. But knowledge is faster.

The engine on my Huskee 22 finally crapped out. It had been sounding bad for a while and oil would turn black and pearly shortly after a change. (Yes, I did the first 5 hour oil change and have changed it regularly.)

The engine always ran well and strong but it just started sounding bad with a distinct knocking. On Saturday it finally had enough.

I picked up the matching vertical Briggs & Stratton engine from Northern Tool. From what I had read, I was going to have to shim it with washers and longer bolts since the shaft on the original engine was custom and shorter than the retail one I could easily source. Well, color me surprised when I unboxed the new engine and the shafts were the same length.

After installing the Lovejoy on the shaft it dropped right into place. The hardest part of the whole process was bypassing the engine brake.

Hopefully my experience will work for others. Though, I have never seen another Huskee 22 like mine. Rather than the front "kickstand", mine has one that has a crank like the ones on the larger models.

I did replace this 10hp
Old%2010hp%20engine_zpsc4hyqui1.jpg
with the new improved
New%20engine%206-1_zpskmqjvsuv.jpg

How do we refer to this now, Hp was easier!

Easy replacement. I do believe it's stronger than the 10hp.
I learned a lot with this project!
I also replaced the hydrolic filter, and topped off the tank with fluid.

Reactions: D9H
BTW, is that 1450 a "powerbuilt"?

For no good reason other than it makes sense to replace the engine with an engine with the same HP.

I replaced the B&S 5hp engine on my Speeco splitter with a Honda 5hp. Mounting bolt pattern, shaft length and diameter, all matched the old B&S. Easy replacement. Two minor issues were 1) that the width of the Honda was a little greater than the B&S, and almost, but not quite, rubbed against the tire on the splitter, and 2) the Honda exhaust port was directed right at the supply hydraulic hose, andI had to add a different fitting to route the hose up and away from the exhaust port, which was no real problem. Hard to find any fault with Honda engine.

Hard to find any fault with Honda engine.
Agreed I have a Honda mower and put a Honda motor on the splitter also. The only problem is the price lol.

The Honda engine is the main reason I bought the Troy-Bilt splitter I have. My mom had a newer Cub Cadet tractor with Briggs ELS 18.5 hp ( I think ) engine. Extended Life Service, lasted until 230 hours and blew up. Sold the tractor for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.