Moulded plaster surrounds and mantels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke C-H

Mar 5, 2015
London
Hi,
I have just moved into a victorian terraced house which had a gas fireplace installed. I have removed this and replaced it with a wood burning stove.

If I wanted to install a mantle above the burner, or even a surround, can i use a moulded plaster one or does it have to be made of stone etc?

The moulded plaster versions are much cheaper which is half the attraction!

The fireplace is in the front room - someone told me they were for decorative purposes only and would crumble with the heat, but the old surround was wooden and that didn't burst into flames?

Any advice would be much appreciate - i can elaborate on heat output or the distance the surround would be etc if needed.

Many thanks!

If it is solid plaster it will be fine but many times they are molded over a form of some sort which is flammable.

If it is solid plaster it will be fine but many times they are molded over a form of some sort which is flammable.

Ok thanks - that's really helpful. The installer was saying that the surround needs to be rebated to allow a slip to be installed. Is a plaster molded surround relatively easy to work with, in terms of cutting it back (if needed) or repairing chips etc? I realise its difficult to say, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Welcome to the site. A pure plaster molding is going to be difficult to ever repair. Repair will mean trying to match what is missing freehand using some new plaster. I have adequate molding and shaping skills for a new item but I would not expect anything I did for repair to really look right when I was done. If heat affects your new mantel I have no idea how you will correct it.

Use a mantle heat deflector, fits under the mantle made of thin steel I believe, sits about 25mm under the mantle and provides an air gap to insulate the mantle. They are adjustable to your desired width.
Cant think were I saw them, search on this site or just use Google to find them.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.