Mount Vernon AE Free Standing Stove Combustion Blower Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainegeek

Dec 6, 2008
Central Maine
So, I haven't been here in a while mostly since I haven't needed help with my stove in a while. I bought a Mount Vernon AE back in 2008 and this last year I starting getting bearing noise from the combustion fan. It still worked but it was loud at low speeds (and apparently louder then it should be at high speed).

Today I replaced the combustion blower. I was told by the dealer that it's not difficult but it's a PIA. Were they right!

With any project, I expected some difficulty but this was something else. It doesn't help that my stove is kitty corner so clearance on both sides was minimal and I had to contort myself in ways that even coitus does not elicit!

First tip, do yourself a favor and remove the 4 metal screws on the back-bottom plate of the stove and bend the metal of the right hand side out of the way otherwise the back two bolts on the combustion blower housing are impossible to get to.

I have no suggestions about lining up the housing, bolts, and gasket. If anyone else does please share because this process took me a long time since some of the bolts just didn't want to thread correctly. I have 3 split knuckles just trying to get everything aligned.

If I had to do it again I could probably do it more quickly now knowing what I do but being my first time it took me ALL afternoon and some unexpected disassembly of the stove just to get clearance.

The new fan is night and day difference though. I didn't count them but the new fan seems to have more fins on it so it seems to be a better fan. Our stove is in the living room and both my wife and I commented tonight how we could actually hear the TV without needing to put the volume at 40 (currently at 18 and I can hear TV perfectly over the stove). Though neither of us can remember if the original fan was that quiet when new.

I hope this helps others and invokes some responses from the community. Thanks for everything over the years!

Last edited:
Did you use a fiber gasket, or the orange re-usable one? There are two re-usable ones, and one only works on the older stove like yours. The other one, will only go on one way. Period. I don't know why a dealer would say it is a PIA, as it is one of the easiest parts to replace. My stove also sits at an angle in the corner. Now the other Quad stoves can be a PIA to remove comb. blowers for sure. lol Sorry you had such an issue with yours, but at least you accomplished it on your own. Saved yourself some coin. Stay warm. kap

Did you use a fiber gasket, or the orange re-usable one? There are two re-usable ones, and one only works on the older stove like yours. The other one, will only go on one way. Period. I don't know why a dealer would say it is a PIA, as it is one of the easiest parts to replace. My stove also sits at an angle in the corner. Now the other Quad stoves can be a PIA to remove comb. blowers for sure. lol Sorry you had such an issue with yours, but at least you accomplished it on your own. Saved yourself some coin. Stay warm. kap

I've replaced the burn pot last year and I thought this was much more challenging then that.

I used the fiber gasket that came with the housing. Actually I installed the housing as a whole and never removed the fan so maybe that was part of my trouble. I might have saved some aggravation by separating the two during the install. My old fan has the orange re-usable one. I saved it at my dealers recommendation.

Reactions: kappel15
The new blower is not a direct replacement. The older Torrington blowers were a breeze

That is what I was told by the dealer as well. I knew the new housing was needed for the new fan. In my previous response I was just saying I might have saved myself some trouble if I separated the new housing and new fan and installed them individually.

It looks to me like this fan pulls off without having to align the fins like you did on the previous fans. If I'm correct that seems like the maintenance side is easier?

Having to replace both fan and housing, is a PIA for sure. Always fun when they change things. kap

Its really all about access- a stove pushed back into a corner is not a lot of fun for us older, more portly folks who aren't as deft as we were 20 years ago to get at. I don't try anymore, I disconnect and spin them. Ha Exhaust blowers normally not bad though.

Hey, I resemble that remark. LOL kap

Would be nice if every insert out there, was built on rails, so you could slide it out, to work on it.

x2

Status
Not open for further replies.