Mount Vernon Free Standing AE Thermocouple Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorooster

Nov 12, 2011
New Mexico
I'm having trouble routing the wire for my thermocouple into the slot above the auto clean. It's really close, but not quite completely in there w/ the ignitor wires. I'm trying like hell not to interfere w/ the auto clean and/or ruin the TC wire itself. Seems I have to do it by feel. QUESTION: Can I remove the ash lip that sits above the ash pan? That would sure make access easier, but I'm not sure if that big cast iron ash lip is integral to the entire frame of the stove... will things come apart/shift on me if I remove the ash pan?

In routing those three wires (TC and ignitor) I understand that another option is to remove the fire pot for easier access... is there a gasket in there I'd need to replace? How does it attach to the auto cleaner? Is it more problematic to go that route? Even w/ a mirror and light in the ash pan slot, my short fingers and cramped neck don't seem up to getting those wires threaded into that u-shaped slot (and that was a truly miserable Super Bowl....)

Their is a gasket under the burn pot and you have to be very careful when you lift it up, it tears very easy.

If you haven't pulled out the old thermocouple yet, you may be able to use it to pull the new one into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.