Mount Vernon Idiot-Lost in the exhaust ports

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorooster

Nov 12, 2011
New Mexico
Okay... so I'm cleaning out the rear exhaust ports on my freestanding Mount Vernon AE and the end of the micro vacuum detached and FELL INSIDE! It's the small, approx. 4" long plastic tube and I'm really up a creek (was getting ready to replace thermocouple). Access to the side panels isn't easy, as I place the stove part way into the old fireplace space. Question: Can I access this through the exhaust blower? That access isn't too terribly bad. Could I access it if I take off the floor of the unit (the one holding up the pot)? I assume this would require me to remove and then reinstall the auto clean, which I've never done? How difficult is that (if that's the right course of action)? Do the exhaust ports empty into the convection blower? Access to the left side is tougher, and removing the blower is something I haven't done. Man oh Man... I need some help on this one. Thanks!

It should have fell straight down. Have you tried bending a coat hanger or a piece of wire and pulling it out?

It should have fell straight down. Have you tried bending a coat hanger or a piece of wire and pulling it out?
no doubt, straight down, and I'm trying all manner of wire dohickey's, but it's in a tough spot. I've rigged up some gorilla tape on a wire, but am now extra careful, cuz I'm not keen on dropping more crap in there.

also, are there suggestions for getting the thermocouple connector off of the board? It's suggested that I first take off the drop tube TC, but this guy's fingers are kind of big... easier to do these w/ needle nose pliers? .

Remove the combustion blower and go in with a vacuum and pull it out?

John, that's exactly what I'm wondering about... if I remove the blower, will I have access to those ports/connected channel? I haven't removed the blower before... do I have to remove the board first? I'm very happy w/ the Mount Vernon, but had no idea that there'd be so much maintenance. That isn't the problem, per se... I just wish that the manual and the store that sold it to me would have stressed that ample access to the sides and rear would be critical.

John, that's exactly what I'm wondering about... if I remove the blower, will I have access to those ports/connected channel? I haven't removed the blower before... do I have to remove the board first? I'm very happy w/ the Mount Vernon, but had no idea that there'd be so much maintenance. That isn't the problem, per se... I just wish that the manual and the store that sold it to me would have stressed that ample access to the sides and rear would be critical.

Try maintenance with the insert if you think the freestanding is a pain!

It's very easy. There are 7 8mm nuts that you need to remove. Twist the blower and pull it out. Mind the wires (ohh, unplug the stove). Yes those ports path to the blower.

Edit - there are removal instructions in your manual.

Well, that's good news. I've removed the exhaust blower and replaced the gasket before. I was worried about the wrong blower (insert joke here). Makes sense that an exhaust port would vent to an exhaust blower. I'm blaming the 5 month old baby, the altitude, the transmission that left us last week, followed by the fuel pump that just had to leave my wife on the freeway, and then the pellet stove error. Second time this forum helped save my hide. You guys should take the rest of the week off. I need a drink.

also if you use a small mirror to look down into the port that would help retreive it. I keep a small make up type mirror in the tool bag and look down in htese ports when i have to clean one.

Coming in late so nothing to add to already good advice, but hope the week improves for you. When it rains, it sometimes pours. But hey, it all sounds fixable. Good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.