Mountaineer Stove Company?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad powers

Dec 29, 2013
dayton ohio
I was just given a wood stove "slammer" style made by Mountaineer Stove Company. It is in great shape and I only info I can find on the company is it was out of Louisville KY and looks to be a fabrication business that has closed its stove division. I have it installed and ready to burn but want to know of any safety issues with this stove if any. On the exhaust side it is not one big damper but three individual holes with a large damper inside. Also has two air damper controls on front top. I am familiar with slammer styles I have an old Buck Stove in my other fireplace. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am new here and posted this in the classic section earlier by accident. I was just given a new "slammer" style stove in great shape but cant find any info on it except it was mfr in Louisvile Ky by a company still in business just not in the stove business anymore. The front tag "Mountaineer Stove Company". I have a buck stove slammer in my basement and was installing this one in my main floor fireplace. We don't heat our home with them just knock the chill off every once in awhile ...anyone ever heard anything about this stove that should give me reason not to use it?

Attachments

• 1388379887893.jpg
    1388379887893.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 360
Looks like it should have been posted in the Classics section. Why do you think not?

The main safety issues come from the difficulties with doing good chimney cleanings with this kind of install, and of course keeping up with them.

Other than that, the main issues would come from clearance to combustibles and such. Perhaps a few pics of the installation and hearth could help us give you a better review of what you are working with.

The main concern with a slammer installation is reverse drafting in a cold chimney causing smoke and CO return into the room. The other issues could be major creosote accumulation, smoke spillage and poor performance.

If the stove is in excellent condition it could be connected to a liner that would eliminate most of these concerns. This won't improve its efficiency, but it will be significantly safer and the chimney will be ready for a more efficient insert in the future. An alternative between these two connections would be to stub the insert in with a short connector that goes a foot or two above the damper and then has a damper sealing block-off plate.This thread recently covered this topic:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/heavy-smoking-after-reloading.120692/page-2#post-1616955

Have you had the chimney checked out to determine its condition, liner or not, size of its liner, etc.? If not, that would be a good start.

<Merged posts for continuity>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.