Mounting LCD TV above mantel with wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cykins

Aug 5, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I'm installing a new wood insert (VC Montpelier) in my masonry fireplace. I would like to also mount our new 52" LCD TV above the mantle. I've spoken to the TV manufactuer and they say the operating temp is 104 F (40 C). I Does anyone have any idea of how hot it gets around the wall/ceiling with the insert running for a while? The insert comes with a blower, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Tks

Great question! I am wondering the same, as I'd like to mount a TV above my wood stove (it will have a "fake" mantle above it) - I'm thinking that it gets too hot based on my research, but would love to hear what others think. steve

I researched this also - and the main thing is that the viewing angle of a TV is suggested to be lower than that - it may cram your neck or be uncomfortable!

I was going to use one of those brackets which would have at least allowed be to put a 15 degree downward slope on it.

I think, as far as heat, you could be OK.....worse comes to worse, you can install a small heat shield somewhere. Earlier plasmas were not OK with any heat, but things are different with LCD.

The first thing to check is the insert's combustible clearance requirements to the mantel if it is made of wood. If the mantel is made of stone and projects further out from that wall than the front of the TV screen it then no worry mate. The mantel will act as the heat shield. If nothing is blocking the heat, then it could be a problem.

The set doesn't want to get too hot. If the surface feels warm you are already at about 105 degrees. In some installations, over time the stove heats up the chimney mass over 105 degrees. This heat gets transmitted to the wall. In this case a bracket that holds the set a little bit off the wall is a good idea.

Even if it'll operate, I just doubt it's a good idea for long-term placement. Electronics just don't like heat. Neither does plastic.

I'm worried enough about screwing up and having a runaway fire at some point.. I wouldn't want to add "melting my $1300 TV" to the list of consequences...

If you do it, please post during the winter and let us know :) Really it does just depend on the distance involved, and whether the mantle is going to be helpful.

As BeGreen noted, anything that feels warm is more than 98.6 degrees already...

I am in the satellite tv industry and would not recommend a LCD tv above a fireplace or woodburning appliance if the operating temp is 104*.

BeGreen said:
The first thing to check is the insert's combustible clearance requirements to the mantel if it is made of wood. If the mantel is made of stone and projects further out from that wall than the front of the TV screen it then no worry mate. The mantel will act as the heat shield. If nothing is blocking the heat, then it could be a problem.

The set doesn't want to get too hot. If the surface feels warm you are already at about 105 degrees. In some installations the stove heats up the chimney mass over 105 degrees. This heat gets transmitted to the wall. In this case a bracket that holds the set a little bit off the wall is a good idea.

All the required clearances for the insert have been met for the oak mantel. The matel ia approx 10" in depth, while the TV, even with the tilting mouting bracket will only protrude approx 6" at thye top of the TV from the wall. So it looks like it will be away from any direct heat from the insert.

You might inquire about having a damper seal (block-off plate) installed to further reduce heating up the chimney mass.

That definitely would be the best approach.........however, the insert has not yet been installed (two weeks away) and I just purchased the TV and want to install it now...I also want to hide all the cables, so I don't want to do this work and only find out that it's too hot with the insert going flat out.

The TV will be fine there... for a while. Without a doubt, the life expectancy of the TV will be reduced if it sees sustained exposure to 100*+ heat.

I am adding insulation on my stainless liner and a block off plate, when it is done the samsung 52" lcd will be right above the firelace at a slight angle. My brother has a high end pioneer elite plasma above his and no issues in 4 years.

In my off time from the internet, I manage an electronic service center :p. Contracts, warranties, installs, etc.

We won't do an install over any FP, unless it is capped off and not in use.

LCD's & plasmas get very hot on their own, additional heat could cause part/pcb failure inside the set. Soot & heat will also distort the glass display, and cause problems between the layers of glass that are the screen assembly. Plus the PCB's that are attached to the display from the rear of the TV, as well as the fans and motors. These conditions could void a warranty/service contract.

Better to stick with the Norman Rockwell over the FP, and find another spot for the set.

I have a 12 inch mantle and plenty of space, most of the warantees I have dealt with in the big box store items were not worth it with the ecception of circuit citys old warrantee. Put a thermometer up there, if its not too bad then put it. I think an lcd is better to put over a insert then a plasma though, less heat generated by the tv. I guess if you turn the blues down a little that the lcds run much cooler too.

burntime said:
I am adding insulation on my stainless liner and a block off plate, when it is done the samsung 52" lcd will be right above the firelace at a slight angle. My brother has a high end pioneer elite plasma above his and no issues in 4 years.

Do you (or your brother) have a standard fireplace or wood insert? I would think the amount of heat will be quite different for both.

Mine is an insert, his is a built in stove (lenox bis) Both have blowers to get the heat out.

I wouldn't put my TV above my woodstove, because I can only really enjoy watching one thing at a time. I'm finding that my threshold for sensory overload is decreasing in an inverse relationship to my age. I like watching my stove burn. I occasionally enjoy watching TV (although not nearly as much or as often as watching my stove burn). I'll put my TV someplace else. Rick

Is your insert flush with the f/p, or does it protrude out somewhat. The unit I went with projects out 3 " from the face of the fireplace to meet clearance restrictions.

fossil said:
I wouldn't put my TV above my woodstove, because I can only really enjoy watching one thing at a time. I'm finding that my threshold for sensory overload is decreasing in an inverse relationship to my age. I like watching my stove burn. I occasionally enjoy watching TV (although not nearly as much or as often as watching my stove burn). I'll put my TV someplace else. Rick

Good one Rick! After being married for a few years I have learned a thing or two about phasing out one disruption for another! :bug:

As far as the depth of my insert...its a hampton so it sticks out like 6-8 inches max.

It could be fine, but I think it depends on the specifics of your setup. For this setup, the mantle protrudes further than the TV and the Jotul Winterport is flush with the fireplace, so the TV is blocked from the direct radiant heat. I do also have a very low profile TV mount that is only 1.5" from the wall. I put a thermometer on top of the mantle it in reached into the mid 80's with the air control wide open. I believe my plasma is rated to run up to 95*F ambient.

Oh, and a tip I read on the internet (so it must be true.) The TV should be less than 15* above your eye level or it can be uncomfortable to watch. For reference, your looking at 12* above the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 18,259
I am going to put a 52 inch lcd over mine, here is my setup. Excuse the mess, cartoons on of course. I think this just screams for a big tv over the mantle! For the record I built the mantle from scratch and covered the brick with the ledgestone.

Attachments

• Mason 087.JPG
    Mason 087.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,503
We just bought a 52 LCD Sony and there is no way I would set it up above a fire place or stove insert. It is just way to hot.

Also my neighbor did install a set above his fireplace and they absolutely hate it. They now watch TV in their basement as it is much easier on the neck. The height might not seem bad at first but it will get to you after a two hour movie.

I installed mine on the wall just above where our old set was on a stand and it works great for viewing height. Maybe tomorrow I will post a picture of it.

JimmyMood said:
It could be fine, but I think it depends on the specifics of your setup. For this setup, the mantle protrudes further than the TV and the Jotul Winterport is flush with the fireplace, so the TV is blocked from the direct radiant heat. I do also have a very low profile TV mount that is only 1.5" from the wall. I put a thermometer on top of the mantle it in reached into the mid 80's with the air control wide open. I believe my plasma is rated to run up to 95*F ambient.

Oh, and a tip I read on the internet (so it must be true.) The TV should be less than 15* above your eye level or it can be uncomfortable to watch. For reference, your looking at 12* above the camera.

Tks for the input. This setup looks very similar to mine. My mantle does protrude further than the TV (and I do have a low-profile tilt monitor to install the TV.), so it too will also be blocked from the direct radiant heat of the insert. Interesting tip on the 15* viewing level. How far from the fllor is the top of your mantle?

Status
Not open for further replies.