Moved Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejectr

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2009
Brimfield, MA
Moved my 4 tons of pellets today from the garage to the basement. What a freekin Job! Two hundred trips from the garage to the hatch way entrance and back. Reminded me of dealing with wood. You pick up the same bag 3 times before throwing it in the stove. I keep thinking of all the money I'm saving over oil to justify feeling like I got hit by a truck. Gives the quintuple heart bypass and the new hip a workout for sure. Next year I'm having them dumped by the side walk and dealing with them as soon as they are delivered. That will cut 3/4 of the leg work from the garage to the basement entrance out of the equation.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
LOL! I'm working on it Smokey. Another day like today and it will be a done deal.
..what no wheel barrel,...hand truck??,.... I have one of those hand trucks that lays down on dolly wheels and can get 5-6 bags in a clip.

Or a ridding mower with a trailer.

I also end up with excessive handling of bags, but not that much.

Forklifted into van,
Hand stacked into Shed,
Open bag in shed to pour into bucket,
Run pellets through Pellet Vac
Pick up two 20lb buckets
carry into house to load hopper.

Maybe I do the same handling as you!

Bill

I am surprised with all the people that keep their pellets in the basement. I thought it would be too damp. we have our pellets forklifted onto the pickup I hand them to Mr Farm who stacks them in the workshop building once a week he puts 10 bags in the pick up, drives them over to the front porch stacks them on the front porch and covers with a tarp. pull bag off porch dump into stove

My driveway to the garage has a serious down hill slope to it. No telling where a dolly with pellets on it would end up. That would also mean one more picking up of the same bag.

My basement is bone dry year round. No problems with dampness.

As I said...next year I'm going to have them dropped at the end of the sidewalk. Fifteen feet to the hatchway instead of 75 feet to the garage. The only problem with that is I will have to deal with it during a warm summer month instead of the fall. Wouldn'r mind bulk delivery right to a bin in the basement.

I have a similar situation. Garage is on the side of the house, so this year I had them delivered directly into the garage. Had to take them out, around the house, down a hill, then into the basement. Round trip, about 1 minute per bag. 300 trips for 6 tons, unless you do two at a time. Don't have a trailer for the lawn tractor yet, but I'll be looking for one next year!

As for the moisture in the basement, that's where my stove is so it's bone dry. I've actually never lived in a house with a truly "wet" basement here in New England, although there are plenty of them around.

I am surprised with all the people that keep their pellets in the basement. I thought it would be too damp. we have our pellets forklifted onto the pickup I hand them to Mr Farm who stacks them in the workshop building once a week he puts 10 bags in the pick up, drives them over to the front porch stacks them on the front porch and covers with a tarp. pull bag off porch dump into stove

nah, its common- do it myself....5 tons, down my bulkhead. When delivered, I put the pellets near the bulkhead, put a piece of plywood on the stairs, and slide them down....5 tons this year, broke 4 bags......not so bad, and I HAVE had ahernia!

I would not hesitate to store them in my basement. I only get moisture problems with anything that sits directly on the floor. Cardboard is a problem on the floor!
I also run a dehumidifier 24/7/365.

Bill

Pellets are pumped in via truck outside,... no more carrying bags..... not my set-up but Im looking into it.

Attachments

• pellergy1.jpg
    pellergy1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 124
Yeah, still got 4 ton in the garage. Do it every year with a wheel barrel at 4-5 bags per trip. I can get 6 in but there is a small/steep hill to deal with and cant stop at the bottom :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.