Moved stove now vent problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
Maine
Yes I should have listened to everyone and not installed stove in basement. Decided to move it upstairs. Installer came to look at placement to upstairs and only wall availale is right under where oil delivery is, so he said horizonital is not an option. He said straight up through the roof. I have a Cape Cod so this goes through my knee wall. Make me a bit nervous to have a hot stove pipe going up through my ceiling. Am I being a nervous nellie?

my stove is in the basement. what was the problem?

Sorry I should have been more clear.

First floor was what I wanted to heat. I wanted it out of the way in the basement. Heat does not make it upstairs.

My pipe goes through the roof. As long as you leave the correct clearances it's not an issue. I have the Selkirk DirecTemp piping, and the outer layer (that is the OAK) stays cool enough that I can touch it. Wouldn't want to leave my hand there, but it won't burn me if I brush it by accident. It only required 1 inch clearance around it.

Just checked my crawl space / knee wall Insulation is blown in there. Is there such a set up where you can go straigt out the wall horizontal, then up with the vent....I'm guessing that it would have to go vertical up through my soffet (sp?) to go above the roof line.

You can build an enclosure to keep the insulation away from the pipe. In fact it's required. That's my set-up too.

you dont have to go through tyour soooet. usually thruogh the wall and up 3 ft or so them a 90 with a termination cap. look in the manual it will usually give you a few sample setups also when posting put down what stove you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.