Moved two face cord today/Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We decided that the view from the screened in porch was more important than the wood, so today I moved it from the back to the front plus I still have another two face cord of hard maple that needs out of the back yard.

The wood I moved today was a combination of Cherry,Hard Maple and Soft Maple.

Sunday I stacked another two face cord of Hard Maple in the second picture then in the first picture I finished by adding Cherry to the Beech to finish the two face cord.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0837.jpg
    100_0837.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 100_0838.jpg
    100_0838.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 403
That's one thing I don't like to do if I don't have to; stack and move firewood more than once. But at least now you know where it shouldn't be stacked next time!

quads said:
That's one thing I don't like to do if I don't have to; stack and move firewood more than once.
I leave my wood out in the open to season all Spring and Summer, then later stack what fits in the shed late in the Fall. If the shed is full, some of the wood stays out until the following Fall.

I've got 8 cord now in the shed and 5 cord that's been sitting out for over a year. The wife is nagging me move it but the flycatchers are nesting in the shed so it will have to wait until Fall. None of my outdoor stacks of wood are visible from the house or yard. They are visible from the road and the driveway though and she thinks they are unsightly. She has a friend that just raves about how nice those stacks look and I milk that for all it's worth.

There is no view that is more important than wood! :mad:

Zap, I thought you were doing all this processing to go walleye fishing when you get nicer weather. Adirondack summer flys by!! You been out? If no, maybe you need a few days off!

maxed_out said:
Zap, I thought you were doing all this processing to go walleye fishing when you get nicer weather. Adirondack summer flys by!! You been out? If no, maybe you need a few days off!

I'm not sure when I'm going out walleye fishing on the St.Lawrence River but expect to go out with the boat next weekend in this area.

I still have some kindling to do.

zap

zapny said:
I still have some kindling to do.
Don't put off to tomorrow what you can put off to next month. Go fishing.

Last Winter was the first time in my whole life that I made up all the kin'lin in advance. Then I started using Super Cedars, so I still have more than a year's supply of kin'lin.

Usually I'd be down to the last stick before I'd go out and split some more. Sometimes it was so miserably cold out that I'd only split enough to start the fire.

wsorg said:
There's always time for wood, use the sunny warm days for fishing while you can!

Just heading back out and finish stacking two face cord, then during the week I'll clean up the back yard then if mother nature gives us some nice weather we will go out on the weekend in the boat.

Just 14 face cord left that needs to be stacked! :coolgrin:

zap

zapny said:
wsorg said:
There's always time for wood, use the sunny warm days for fishing while you can!

Just heading back out and finish stacking two face cord, then during the week I'll clean up the back yard then if mother nature gives us some nice weather we will go out on the weekend in the boat.

Just 14 face cord left that needs to be stacked! :coolgrin:

zap

Yep, I need to move some that's outside the new woodshed into the woodshed (about 1/2 cord), then about 12 & 1/3 more from the field later this summer. I'm building my own pallets for stacking, since nobody around here wants to part with any.

Attachments

• IMG_4023resize.jpeg
    IMG_4023resize.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 403
We did a similar thing yesterday Zap. We moved all of our stacks back atbout 20 feet. It was work, but the stacks now get way more sun and we were able to clean up the area where the old stacks were and plant grass.

Zap, your stacks are just too darned neat. :lol:

Cluttermagnet said:
Zap, your stacks are just too darned neat. :lol:

The man that sold us the land burned wood all his life, he told me what ever you do take your time stacking (he does not use t-post) he's still stacking 15 f/c by himself and won't take any help.

Zap

index.php

PapaDave said:
Yep, I need to move some that's outside the new woodshed into the woodshed (about 1/2 cord), then about 12 & 1/3 more from the field later this summer. I'm building my own pallets for stacking, since nobody around here wants to part with any.
Nice looking pallets. Bet they last a good while. They look more rugged than the freebies with the thinner slats. The garden logs are pressure treated, right?

wsorg said:
Wow...making me feel lazy for just relaxing this weekend!

Wsorg starting today through the end of August my goal is about 5 trees a month bucked and split.

Zap

I'll update weekly.

Since I posted this I have bucked 7 trees and split 4 of them. Looks like if I bust my arse I can get another five trees bucked up before the end of June.

Zap

Cluttermagnet said:
index.php

PapaDave said:
Nice looking pallets. Bet they last a good while. They look more rugged than the freebies with the thinner slats. The garden logs are pressure treated, right?

Yep.

PapaDave said:
Cluttermagnet said:
index.php

PapaDave said:

Yep.

Those are nice pallets did you use landscaping timbers on the bottom?

Zap

BrotherBart said:

Uh, I can think of a better view . . . candle burning on a table, fire burning in the stove, wife scantily clad . . . OK, it gets R-rated after this point. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
BrotherBart said:

Uh, I can think of a better view . . . candle burning on a table, fire burning in the stove, wife scantily clad . . . OK, it gets R-rated after this point. ;) :)

Well did she snuff out your candle or is it still BURNING! :coolgrin:

Zap

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:
BrotherBart said:

Well did she snuff out your candle or is it still BURNING! :coolgrin:

Zap

Oh my candle always burns for her . . . even more so than the day we first got together.

zapny said:
PapaDave said:
Cluttermagnet said:
index.php

PapaDave said:

Yep.

Those are nice pallets did you use landscaping timbers on the bottom?

Zap

Zap, yep.
Need some more, so I guess I need to make a trip to Depot.
There's a lumber yard about 20 minutes from me that puts out pallets they don't want, but it's real hit or miss whether they have any put out for the taking. Also hit or miss whether they're the right size or in good enough condition to be usable. I don't have time to mess with all that. Things to do.....blah, blah. So, I'm making my own.
I did snag 2 from them that got used in the back of the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.