Movin some wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Too bloody windy today to keep the shop warm enough to spray stain or fight with putting siding up, so I decided to start moving this winter's burn into the shed. After a couple hours of this, one has to think there has got to be a better way. Any ideas?

1.) dump out of the trailer onto the splitting terrace
2.) split and toss into the heap
3.) stack in the shed on the windward side of the house the year before I intend to burn it
4.) stack in the shed on the leeward side of the house the fall before I will burn it

Attachments

• 111210 split terrace.jpg
    111210 split terrace.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 553
  • 102610 heap.jpg
    102610 heap.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 529
  • 09 under roof for 10.jpg
    09 under roof for 10.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 552
  • 112710 stacking.jpg
    112710 stacking.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 559
That It?

lol, I'd have to PM my response to that

SolarAndWood said:
lol, I'd have to PM my response to that

LOL Thats a lot of work! even with the best equipment.....

smokinjay said:
even with the best equipment.....

Does a busted up garden cart and a kitchen step ladder count? Seems like my next move is a second heap and a wide grapple bucket for the tractor. Fodderwood goes directly into the burn shed from the heap, 8x8 splits go into the windy shed for longer term storage.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Does a busted up garden cart and a kitchen step ladder count? Seems like my next move is a second heap and a wide grapple bucket for the tractor. Fodderwood goes directly into the burn shed from the heap, 8x8 splits go into the windy shed for longer term storage.

I use to pitch off the trailer pretty high atleast 10 foot..Pile was 20x20 ft 10 foot high. You know you have a lot of wood when people use your pile for a land mark! lol

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Solar what happen with the tractor?

zap

Man, those there are some ramshackle crib ends. Better hang out the DANGER signs.

Holy cow! Solar, That is a daunting pile of wood to stack. You youngsters have my admiration. Other than purchasing a JD Gator to move the wood I have no practical suggestions for making the job easier. Sorry!

Wait, I spoke too soon: It might be easier to move a little wood at the end of each splitting session rather than letting the pile compete with pyramids for available sky space. :lol: You'll "git 'er done" but not today. Like Syracuse, we are also having snow squalls with 35mph wind gusts here in Otsego county so I ain't even goin' out today. Snow blowing past my house will not hit the ground until it reaches Boston.

The wood stove is keeping everything nice and cozy. That makes life just grand! :)

Solar, a front end loader would come in mighty handy for moving that stuff.

A couple of young boys would also come in handy.

My daughter and I cranked it out under the lights until we didn't have any more to give. Enjoying a little bourbon now.

Attachments

• 112710 stackied.jpg
    112710 stackied.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 386
Backwoods Savage said:
Solar, a front end loader would come in mighty handy for moving that stuff.

I have a 5 foot bucket on the Ford. I find that by the time you mess around with it, it is easier just to throw it in a hand drawn cart for the 40 feet it needs to go.

Just like The Rent Is Too Damn High you have too much DAMN wood, nice job.

zap

John_M said:
Like Syracuse, we are also having snow squalls with 35mph wind gusts here in Otsego county so I ain't even goin' out today. Snow blowing past my house will not hit the ground until it reaches Boston.

That wind was crazy today. Hopefully it will slow down tomorrow as I still have a lot of siding to spray.

zapny said:
Just like The Rent Is Too Damn High you have too much DAMN wood, nice job.

zap

too much wood? from you? not buyin that for a second.

LLigetfa said:
Better hang out the DANGER signs.

No worries. My wife is a lawyer, already have the caution tape out.

zapny said:
Solar what happen with the tractor?

The Ford is all good. Just isn't worth it for moving splits 40 or 50 feet. However, with a grapple bucket that might be different.

Yikes!!! that pile is almost too big to move.

You could just put swing set like log frame over it then cover with a green tarp. That's tall enough to easily walk in and gather this years wood. Then start storing next years wood in the shed.

How long do you let your heaps dry? I'm wondering if I do two heaps and let them sit longer if I could skip the windward shed step for all but the good stuff?

savageactor7 said:
Yikes!!! that pile is almost too big to move.

You could just put swing set like log frame over it then cover with a green tarp. That's tall enough to easily walk in and gather this years wood. Then start storing next years wood in the shed.

The trouble with that is the wood is on the ground. If it were off the ground then perhaps that could be okay but it still will not dry as well as if it were in the stack.

All tucked in ready to go. Just need to pick up some 2x4s to run vertically as the stacks are 10'.

I think my next move will be to only stack the big splits in the windward shed. I'll let the smaller stuff sit in the heap for a couple years and then move it directly to the burn shed the spring before I intend to burn it.

Attachments

• 112810 stacked.jpg
    112810 stacked.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 190
SolarAndWood said:
All tucked in ready to go. Just need to pick up some 2x4s to run vertically as the stacks are 10'.

I think my next move will be to only stack the big splits in the windward shed. I'll let the smaller stuff sit in the heap for a couple years and then move it directly to the burn shed the spring before I intend to burn it.

Jesus. That is incredible. Do you burn that much over an average winter??

kubota said:
That is incredible. Do you burn that much over an average winter??

That is 7, last year I burned 8. I should have the shell of the house done in the next couple weeks. We'll see how much of a difference it makes.

S&W How long do you let your heaps dry?

In the past I've burned some after 2 full years and it burned fine but we split smaller than you. Truthfully I'm not very organized about rotating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.