moving a palladian

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heartofvt

Jan 24, 2014
Rochester Vermont
We need to move an old Woodstock pallandian (they weigh over 400lbs) and don't have a lot of muscle. Is there any way of dismantling these things without messing them up? it has to be transported onto the back of a pick-up from ground level so I thought taking it apart might be a solution. Has anyone ever done this, does it work or is there another approach?

I don't know anything about this particular stove but just moved a similar size VC defiant. We carefully inserted a piece of plywood under the stove (3 person job to lift and insert) then blocked under the bottom to support near legs and used a refrigerator dolly and a ramp to load letting the dolly take any bumps. We ended up taking it apart to rebuild and inspect it anyway but didn't know at the time that was possible. A beefy pallet might help as well and block and tackle if you don't own a ramp. Good luck!

I have moved more weight than that with just a heavy duty handtruck and the stove ratchet strapped to the handtruck. With wheels the stove is not that hard to move. It will help if you can get some help on moving day. Gather some friends for the move or hire a couple strong boys from the high school football team.

The Fireview is a bit heavier than your stove. We moved it using the furniture dolly pictured below. You can pick these up at Harbor Freight very cheap. They sell 2 sizes and we got the larger one. When we brought the stove home, I unloaded it from the trailer onto the dolly by myself. To get it into the house later we used two 2 x 10 planks for going up onto the porch and then the step into the house. It made the task very easy. Begreen's way works very well too; just make sure you use the ratchet straps with either a 2 wheeled cart of the furniture dolly. Having a couple strong young men goes a long ways too.

Furniture dolly.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.