moving a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
what is the easiest way to move a stove.( for 1 person) Lets say 10 feet or so. It is sitting on blocks and a hearth pad. I thought about car jacks and some how pushing it or try finding supper duty castors/wheels and attach to the hearth pad.
thanks

Cut a piece of plywood large enough to place the stove onto. Cut some pipe or conduit to serve as rollers. Put the pipe on the floor to act as a roller. you can use 2-3 pieces of pipe and as you move forward simply keep placing the pipe under the plywood in the direction of travel until you are at your new location. Have fun!

tchdngrnby has a good idea, but don't know if that will be okay with your flooring.

Other ideas are to get an appliance dolly, or just intice several friends with a beverage.

I once moved a vigilant using the method that TCH mentioned about 20' by myself when I was about 15. (My dad got mad at me for something and told me I was grounded until I moved the stove from our hearth to the front door without breaking anything) I used 2 layers of plywood, one under the stove and one under 2 rollers..( think I used a broom handle for one roller and a short peice of 1" black pipe for the other)

I have moved a a few tons of pellets from the front driveway to the rear garage on (blacktop) and reasonably level , by myself using the pipe roller method.
Before delivery (one ton at a time) I had a 4X4 sheet of plywood in place on top of (four)-4 ft long 3" PVC conduit rollers. The boom truck simply lowered the full pallet onto the plywood and I was able to push it 50-60 ft. It took me a while cause I could only go 10-12" at a time before having to replace the rear roller to the front. I was surprised how one person could push a ton. It wasn`t easy but definitely doable.
Last year I tried a pallet truck but the 1 ton load was too heavy as it made a slight depression in the blacktop which prevented the wheels from turning.
I now simply pile 8 bags at a time onto a small 4 wheeled red radio flyer wagon and transfer it that way as it`s almost as quick , simple, and reasonably easy for a 68 yr old senior citizen like me. I did three tons in a couple hrs.
I`m 68 and arthritic but it is good excercise .

I used a hand truck to move mine in from the deck after the "burn-in" last summer. Put some thick old blankets between the stove & the hand truck, and wheeled it right in....not a big deal.

Ahhhhh Frank's the lessons we learn from old people never set in until we need to do things on our own..... Personally, I have never been grounded. I was always a golden child! :)

tchdngrnby said:
Ahhhhh Frank's the lessons we learn from old people never set in until we need to do things on our own..... Personally, I have never been grounded. I was always a golden child! :)

This may be why you're not sure how to move the stove!!

I use a ATV/motocycle jack, they've got a nice wide platform

are you moving a ksh120? a $10 rental on a uhaul dolly will do the trick... slide it off the blocks onto the dolly. Those things are fairly light (once you take the 120lbs of pellets out! :lol: )

Home Depot:
b737342d-96af-48b8-b70d-8bf568affd0f_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...D28X-_-100057209&locStoreNum=2615&marketID=39

Comes in handy post season for moving it around while cleaning. $20 bucks. Be carfull that the wheels do not crush the wood floor. TO get it on and off the dolly I just rock it back and fourth.

All of the stoves in my shop have one under them.

I own my own furniture dolly so thats what I have been using to handle my stoves. Got it at HD for $115 -10% a ways back. I would have used the pipe trick but my stove had to go down stairs into the basement. Worked great getting the bigE back out and loaded into the new owners truck. Also moved the new washing machine into the basement and old one out for the dump run. It has earned its keep already.

Gotta figure out how I can make a craddle to haul my little boat motor with it next.

Attachments

• furn dolly.jpg
    furn dolly.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 240
summit said:
are you moving a ksh120? a $10 rental on a uhaul dolly will do the trick... slide it off the blocks onto the dolly. Those things are fairly light (once you take the 120lbs of pellets out! :lol: )

I have all I can do to move it around so I can clean it...

Status
Not open for further replies.