Moving a wood stove set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaH33

Apr 22, 2016
NH
My husband and I are trying to buy a house where the wood stove and oil furnace share a flue, which is not allowed here in NH. Our options are to power vent the furnace or to move the wood stove to an outer wall with a separate chimney. How hard is it to move the wood stove? Any thoughts?

My husband and I are trying to buy a house where the wood stove and oil furnace share a flue, which is not allowed here in NH. Our options are to power vent the furnace or to move the wood stove to an outer wall with a separate chimney. How hard is it to move the wood stove? Any thoughts?
Generally it is not very hard but we need allot more info to give you much of any advice. And by the way it really does not need to be on an outside wall you can run a prefab chimney straight up through the house

Reactions: AmbDrvr253
Generally it is not very hard but we need allot more info to give you much of any advice. And by the way it really does not need to be on an outside wall you can run a prefab chimney straight up through the house

Ive done this in my house. Chimney is not against outer wall. It is where I wanted it. Chimney goes straight up and out.

We looked at a house where the owner had cut through the chimney in the basement and tied a smoke dragon into the flue used by the oil-fired boiler.

Looked like a real hatchet job, and the stovepipe was horizontal.

Did I mention this guy was a volunteer fireman?

It made me consider the other projects of his that would need to be fixed...

Yikes.

We passed on the house. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.