Moving air around in the stove room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I know moving air has been beat to death, but, I have to ask anyway.

The stove in my tv room, as the wife calls it, is mainly for heating that room and that room only. It's a small jotul f602cb.

The room is fairly large.

The issue, it's nice and toasty within 10 feet of the stove, or while standing up. Once seated on the couch (wall opposite of the stove) it's chilly.

Initial thought was a ceiling fan, but the room has a beam running directly through the middle, not really allowing this.

So, would setting a fan near the couch, blowing cold air at the stove help? What about blowing the cold air straight up to the ceiling from the floor?

Sorry for the ramble... The things that keep me up at night..

You could try it, but it would have to be able to move the air up to and along the ceiling to work not just in that direction.
Could you install a ceiling fan with a drop down to clear that beam?
If it were me I would also try to blow a fan against the side of the stove. The ceiling fan moves the air across the warm ceiling to warm the air in the room so if you move the air against the side of the stove it should work.

ceiling fan on the beam would work best IMO, blowing up

Experiment. I like the idea of having the fan on the opposite side of the room blowing gently toward the ceiling. Try it out. If that doesn't work point it toward the stove. If that doesn't work it could be that you need a larger more convective stove.

PS: is this in a basement room? are the walls insulated?

It's an addition that I believe was a garage at one point.

Part of the problem, I think, is this room sits 5 feet lower then the rest of the house. I haven't fired up the big stove on the adjacent room yet.

When I got home yesterday the living room and kitchen was sitting at 62. Fired up the little stove in the TV room. The living room and kitchen started to warm up, went to 66 with the stove room at 71. My thought is, most of the heat is running out is the stove room to heat the closer parts is the house.

I kinda have the same problem, I put a 12 inch fan setting on floor about 4 ft from the stove and point it to blow behind and a little above the stove, It seems to work for us. Th room is 18x22 with a little vaulted ceiling. Now we down here in Texas and it not get as cold as yall do.

I'd try to find a way to install a ceiling fan adjacent to the beam. That's the way mine is.

How about a stove fan instead? It's good enough for my small (14x16) room.

In our stove room (rec room) we have the stove at one end and on the other end next to a hallway we have a shelving unit where we keep a thermometer and upstairs we have a thermometer that relays the downstairs temp as well. My wife put a fan near the downstairs thermometer blowing towards the stove. I came home from work one day and looked at the reading and was amazed at how much warmer the downstairs temp was reading. It was higher then I had ever seen it and the stove was not at temps that would make me think it was anything other than the fans action of pushing the cool air towards the stove and looping it towards the back of the room. Doing this increased the temperature in the back of the room tremendously!

It's an addition that I believe was a garage at one point.

Part of the problem, I think, is this room sits 5 feet lower then the rest of the house. I haven't fired up the big stove on the adjacent room yet.

When I got home yesterday the living room and kitchen was sitting at 62. Fired up the little stove in the TV room. The living room and kitchen started to warm up, went to 66 with the stove room at 71. My thought is, most of the heat is running out is the stove room to heat the closer parts is the house.
That might also be the low point that all the cold settles into when the heated air is moving to other parts of the house. I'd experiment with blowing air into the room to keep the cool air from pooling in the low point.

If you could put a ceiling fan next to the beam, and have air moving up from the stove and down along the walls, that would also keep things circulating in that space. Someone posted a great graphic of this convection exchange in another thread, and I think it might apply nicely here, as well.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.