Moving an Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slindo

Mar 14, 2008
Maine
Anyone know if an appliance hand truck, alias refrigerator dolly, is up to manhandling an Oslo across a mostly level floor with a couple door sills thrown in?

Been so long since I have moved anything really big with one that I can't really remember how effective they are, and a woodstove like the Oslo isn't really the ideal load for one.

I have moved a Castine and the even heavier Alderlea on a regular heavy-duty handtruck. I just move the stove onto a section of plywood, then put the handtruck lip under the plywood after covering the stove with a blanket, then ratchet strap the stove to the handtruck to make them one unit. After that moving is easy.

Reactions: David Tackett
The dolly will have no problem with the weight. So long as the bottom of the stove can rest on the dolly without damage to the stove you'll be fine.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Dolly and 2x4 planks work for me. Get the dolly under the stove. Left one side of the stove and have the wife/son/daughter/neighbor/well-trained-cat slide a plank under one side of the stove. Then lift the stove from the other side and insert a plank on that side. Repeat until the legs will clear the floor and any bumps or steps you may come across.

If you have wood flooring, put some rugs down under the dolly to prevent the floor from being indented as you wheel the stove around.

I've done this with heavier stoves than an Oslo and it has worked just fine.

Another option are three more guy friends . . . and one case of beer . . . or even better beer and pizza.

I moved mine up some stairs and across the house with a regular hand truck, so an appliance dolly will certainly handle the load.

You can lighten the load considerably by removing the doors, grate, ash pan, and flue collar.

if your staying on a fairly level floor and going over a couple speed bumps I suggest a furniture dolly. Two men can lift and place it and then roll it from place to place with little effort and then take it off.

I moved mine up some stairs and across the house with a regular hand truck, so an appliance dolly will certainly handle the load.

You can lighten the load considerably by removing the doors, grate, ash pan, and flue collar.
Top also

moved my oslo on an appliance dolly no problem at all. i strapped it with door facing dolly, only so i could roll it onto the hearth (floor level) and she would be facing the proper direction. That stove is i think 445 lbs, let the dolly do as much of the work as possible.

I have moved a Castine and the even heavier Alderlea on a regular heavy-duty handtruck. I just move the stove onto a section of plywood, then put the handtruck lip under the plywood after covering the stove with a blanket, then ratchet strap the stove to the handtruck to make them one unit. After that moving is easy.

This is how I do it. I moved our stove all by myself using this method.

Yes, once it's tilted back and the weight is on the wheels it's pretty easy to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.