Moving another 3 cords

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

If you saw the video I posted yesterday, we moved everything from the wood racks closer to the house and wood shed. Now we are tackling the task of moving 2-3 cords of red oak from a pile I mostly split early spring to the storage racks to season until winter of 2015/16. I will post pics of progress as I go.

Attachments

• Moving another 3 cords
    uploadfromtaptalk1378055095924.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Moving another 3 cords
    uploadfromtaptalk1378055104867.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 114
I finished everything earlier for the day. I managed to stack half of the pile before getting too hot and tired.

Attachments

• Moving another 3 cords
    uploadfromtaptalk1378069864106.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Moving another 3 cords
    uploadfromtaptalk1378069873190.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 118
  • Moving another 3 cords
    uploadfromtaptalk1378069882971.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 114
I finished everything earlier for the day. I managed to stack half of the pile before getting too hot and tired.

Uggh....that looks exhausting. If only firewood wasn't so heavy.

Reactions: WellSeasoned
Wicked hot and humid too. Remember.. Drink plenty of fluids!

Nice and cool here today, but it all seems to be moving near straight south so I don't think it will be coming your way. Take frequent breaks in the shade or in air conditioning, drink something at least every 15 minutes, and get yourself cooled down immediately if you start cramping or experiencing dizziness.

Reactions: WellSeasoned
Hey WS. I just noticed you have a nice stove too.:)

Well, it's looking like I might be getting a truck, and it might be stored in the garage, and that means that some of the six cords of wood in there have to be moved. Uggghhh. And it's piled 8 feet high.

8ft high huh.. I'd need a ladder for that. Hopefully you can back the truck in load, unload, repeat. You put anymore thought into the bedliner?

Excellent work, WS! It was bust-yer-nutz hot here the past several days as well......I had to climb up that huge chestnut oak I cut a total of 13 times, with all the rigging we had to do on each sub-trunk, I know what you went through moving all that wood....

Stacks are looking great! That's on my "to-do" list next year, making the stacks higher.......

8ft high huh.. I'd need a ladder for that. Hopefully you can back the truck in load, unload, repeat. You put anymore thought into the bedliner?

I used a ladder to stack it that high. I'm thinking Duraliner, but not doing anything til I actually have the truck.

Excellent work, WS! It was bust-yer-nutz hot here the past several days as well......I had to climb up that huge chestnut oak I cut a total of 13 times, with all the rigging we had to do on each sub-trunk, I know what you went through moving all that wood....

Stacks are looking great! That's on my "to-do" list next year, making the stacks higher.......

Is that from the scout camp work?

I used a ladder to stack it that high. I'm thinking Duraliner, but not doing anything til I actually have the truck.

Are those stable. I always have trouble over 6 feet. The things want to topple over and I'm not messing with that much weight shifting.

For my racks to hold 3 cords, the stacks need to be 6' tall, 2" -3" space between rows. Its amazing how much the stacks will shrink over time. My other rack of pin oak, around 1 year old now has dropped a solid 6" already. I don't know if the wood is shrinking or just settling. I just don't have enough wood storing space w/o felling a bunch of trees, so airspace is unlimited. I did drop some smaller trees behind the shed to open up more room for storage. I really have to get out when it cools down and clean up the woods a bit. Its getting out of control.

Are those stable. I always have trouble over 6 feet. The things want to topple over and I'm not messing with that much weight shifting.
It's dry, so not much more shrinkage. I monitor the stability and tune it up if needed.
PS: It's leaning up against the wall too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.