Moving house - had to move a lot of firewood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Well we sold our house a couple of months ago and the firewood was not part of the negotiation so i had to move it all to the new place. The new place is larger but it is about 15 mins drive away.

I hired a 2 ton tipper for me to drive and i also hired a man with a bobcat and an 8 ton tipper. We worked from 7:30 am until 6:30 pm and oly managed to get 3/4 of the wood. I think i underestimated the amount of wood there was. I made 13 trips in the 2 ton tipper and the other guy made 7 trips in his tipper.

Once i get it all stacked and put away i think i will have enough for at least 2 years. Here's the pics from the looooong day.

Here's what i had to move - roughly 35 cord in total. It doesn't look like much but there are 42 pallets in the main stack...
WP_20150906_015.jpg
This is us getting stuck in...
WP_20151027_002.jpg
WP_20151027_012.jpg
WP_20151027_016.jpg
WP_20151027_017.jpg
WP_20151027_022.jpg
Here's the pile once we had finished.. I had to offer the rest of the firewood to friends for free just to get rid of it - i will be having sleepless nights for some time about the 10 cords plus i gave away for nothing. But it will be all worth it in the end once i'm burning again in a few months time.
WP_20151027_023.jpg
WP_20151027_028.jpg

That's real nice job you did moving that much wood. Now you can take your time stacking it.

it took the whole day and all up the best part of $1000 to move it all. To buy this much wood - would have cost ~ $12,000 and even then you dont know what it is or how long it has been seasoning. This is a mixed bag now but a minimum of 1 year and maximum of 3 years seasoning - plus its in a very sunny windy spot where it is so it's still seasoning.

I originally estimated about 20+ cords but the pile kept on going and going..... my wife says i have a problem but i say it is my hobby and i'm sticking to that story.==c Just need to get a wood heater installed now....

You'll be glad you did it, very nice!

i'm just getting started too. this time next year there will twice as much as i've lost - if that makes sense....

Job well done! But 20+ cords is only two years' worth? _g

Job well done! But 20+ cords is only two years' worth?
Thats what i'm telling the wife...... shhhhhhh that way i still need more ::-) There was more wood than i first thought - i always looked at it and just thought there's enough for a couple of years.

I did have 2 stoves in the old house and not very efficient stoves. This new house is better insulated and a much better heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.