Moving locust fail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Emptied wood shed into basement, decided to loose stack some 6 month locust in there to dry quicker for next Jan or so. Shoulda "minded the mule"

Oh well, I put the tongue on a big rock, jumped on the beam to straighten, and will re-re-reinforce with some scrap angle I have. I guess the 2x4 chunk I had nailed in there from the last time it bent was "under engineered". Moved 3 modest loads of pine without fixing it.

The axle is forward on purpose. It's a dump trailer.

I'd love to find a garden tractor cart with enough beef to be a good wood hauler. Seems like most of the ones out there are made for grass clippings and leaves. I guess one would have to either find a nice strong older one, spend big bucks, or make it himself.

Build it and they will come:
100_1539sm.jpg

I'd love to find a garden tractor cart with enough beef to be a good wood hauler. Seems like most of the ones out there are made for grass clippings and leaves. I guess one would have to either find a nice strong older one, spend big bucks, or make it himself.

You need to look on CL for a small trailer at the end of its life that you can rebuild and resurrect into a new stronger/smaller life.
Red one was a cheap foldable that that I shortened and beefed up with existing materials.
Blue tarp one, was a 4x8 that I also shortened, repaired, put sides and and swing away removable top on.

Attachments

• trailer red load.jpg
    trailer red load.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 138
  • wood cart.jpg
    wood cart.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 134
I bought this folding 4x8 last year cheap with intentions to make a better cart out of it but I have found that it is pretty handy for hauling the old Cubs around town. Easier than ramping up into the the truckbed. I'll keep an eye out for another.
IMG_0294.JPG IMG_0611.JPG

Reactions: osagebow
I bought this folding 4x8 last year cheap with intentions to make a better cart out of it but I have found that it is pretty handy for hauling the old Cubs around town. Easier than ramping up into the the truckbed. I'll keep an eye out for another.
View attachment 126306 View attachment 126307

Definetely useful as a larger trailer for lighter materials. I have a 6x12 landscape trailer with a ramp and 15" wheels for that kind of transport.
I have quite a number of trailers. Just counted, I have 5! Didn't realize I had that many.

The 15" wheels are a major improvement over the little ones on my 4x8. I'd be afraid to run it any great distance at highway speeds, but its ok for around town.

The 15" wheels are a major improvement over the little ones on my 4x8. I'd be afraid to run it any great distance at highway speeds, but its ok for around town.

I'm constantly amazed at smaller trailers I see on the highway at great speeds with the little wheels on them.

I'm constantly amazed at smaller trailers I see on the highway at great speeds with the little wheels on them.

How about the little splitters going 55 or 60 !!!

On the bright side, you could make it a tilt bed now!?

I bought this plastic one, not expecting much, and have been quite surprised. It's rated 1200 lb., but I routinely put 1/4 cord green oak (over 1300 lb., by my calc's) in it to haul across the yard, without incident. The back does bow out just a bit, if the green wood is not stacked just right, but no trouble with anything less than green oak (eg. green walnut or seasoned anything). They're available at Home Depot and Tractor Supply, made by Ohio Steel, if I recall.

photo 20.JPG photo 11.JPG photo 13.JPG

I had a cart like that which I used for a few years . . . until it pretty much did the same thing.

I then bought a beefed up cart which my cousin then beefed up even further.

My cheap, used Cub Cadet (Agri Fab) cart is holding up ok now that I have made some improvements. The original wheels couldn't handle firewood.
0224111720.jpg 0501111707a.jpg
So I replaced them with some old IH Cub Cadet tractor front wheels that have held up fine.
0501111614a.jpg
The weak link now is the stupid ball bearings. I buy a bunch whenever they come up cheap on Ebay. Someday I'll build something nice with real roller bearings.

Reactions: Ashful

Don't know if they are still made or not but that cart like the OP posted looks similar to one I bought from Sears. I paid a bit more dollars for it and it held up great because it was built a bit tougher. Still, you have to load that back end light else the tongue gets too light on the tractor or something like that break happens.

Emptied wood shed into basement, decided to loose stack some 6 month locust in there to dry quicker for next Jan or so. Shoulda "minded the mule".....

Looks like the tire is giving a "Hint" as to the weight issue too.

I bought this plastic one, not expecting much, and have been quite surprised. ...... made by Ohio Steel, if I recall.
I have the exact same cart...I love it. Nice and light, and very strong (for poly).

Status
Not open for further replies.