moving my log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atcomo

Jan 17, 2009
Shirley,LI
Every year I store my log splitter in my shed whenever its not being used.
Feel better about keeping it indoors away from the elements. However I
am getting older and about a week ago I moved it out the shed and had
a terrible struggle (because of its weight). Also tried using a trailer dolly
to move it but its just so damn heavy. Anyone have any ideas how I can
tacke this problem. My last recourse is to store it outdoors with a tarp cover.
Need some advice

I tow my splitter around the yard with my lawn tractor. I put a 2" ball on it and it works great...

does anyone leave their splitter outside year round???
actually, i think my friend might he does just cover with a tarp

I leave my small splitter out during splitting season...it is small enough that it fits in a big trash bag. It goes under a roof in the off season.

iceman said:
does anyone leave their splitter outside year round???
actually, i think my friend might he does just cover with a tarp
I have left my splitter outside for 2 years with only a small sheet of plywood covering the motor. But now I have my basement back and will be putting it inside this winter.

Shipper

I keep mine indoors and move it around with the yard tractor.

100_0088%20cropped.jpg

I also keep an umbrella over it when outdoors to protect it and me from the elements.

100_0340.jpg

Here is the hitch I designed for the splitter.

100_0264.jpg

Technically our splitter is out doors year around. It's tarped and under a lean-to over the winter and in splitting season its out but tarped when static. For short hops around the wood pile I manhandle it with the aid of roped mall handle that I can keep my back straight while moving it into position. But if I have to move it over a hundred feet I'll use a tractor. If your manhandling it the best advice I have is to keep the tires filled with max air. Most of us have already put tubes into those crappy tires to make life easier.

savageactor7 said:
Most of us have already put tubes into those crappy tires to make life easier.
I haven't even had to put air in mine since I bought it years ago.

Before I got my roundtop shelter and before I put the ball hitch on my tractor, I would leave the splitter outside with just the engine covered. Now I usually just leave it hitched up to the tractor and put them both away at the end of the day.

My Uncle always has "stored" his older MTD splitter outside with nothing but an old pool liner (cut down) covering the beam and engine . . . since this splitter is still going strong I would say doing so is fine.

Currently my spliter is outside with an infamous blue tarp (Maine's Official Roofing Material) covering the beam, engine, etc. I hope to have it in a shed by the time snow flies however.

To move the splitter around I generally use my ATV, although I could move it with the garden tractor or 4Runner if need be.

I opull mine aroudn with the ATV...and it goes into my garage

Where are the bar, bar stools, cooler, keg, and bar tender? I am a little embarrassed for you not having added these essential item yet. Please repost when you have taken care of this business! :)

LLigetfa said:
I keep mine indoors and move it around with the yard tractor.

100_0088%20cropped.jpg

I also keep an umbrella over it when outdoors to protect it and me from the elements.

100_0340.jpg

100_0264.jpg

put a trailer jack on it with the wheel and then all you have to do is push it (instead of trying to hold it in the air and pull)

smokinj said:
put a trailer jack on it with the wheel and then all you have to do is push it (instead of trying to hold it in the air and pull)

The OP tried something like that.

atcomo said:
Also tried using a trailer dolly to move it but its just so damn heavy.

A friend built a motorized dolly to move his airplane in and out of the hangar. It ran on a 12V car battery.

LLigetfa said:
smokinj said:

The OP tried something like that.

atcomo said:
Also tried using a trailer dolly to move it but its just so damn heavy.

A friend built a motorized dolly to move his airplane in and out of the hangar. It ran on a 12V car battery.

It works great! even in grass

Mine used to be under a shed roof year round. For years now it has stayed outside next to the stacks. I just put a baking pan over the engine. I bought one of those damned trailer dollies to move it around with and it was harder to pull than just lifting the tongue and grunting and groaning. For any distance I put the ball on the garden tractor. But I think I have it positioned just right now for it to sit there until either me or it can't split wood anymore.

Which today feels like that will be about a week from tomorrow.

LLigetfa said:

100_0264.jpg

That's a great little setup. I have been thinking of something similar, and you have just given me the kick in the behind to fab one up! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.