Moving My Stove Upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mischinski

Jul 22, 2008
Eastern PA
I am fairy new to this forum and have read all the great advice that is available. When I decided to go with pellet heating it looked like an easy choice since I had a basement with a chimney and an 8 inch wall thimble for venting a stove. I read over all the opinions regarding success or non-success with putting a stove in the basement. In my case it was not a success - most probably because my basement was unfinished. The stove fired up and worked fine but was unable to get the first floor temp above 61 with outside 39. I started to increase the heat setting but finally concluded this was a waste of fuel and it would be more prudent to put it upstairs. I consulted with Eric and he agreed that this concept is not a good idea for unfinished basements. I just wanted to alert these fine members of this information as others may be faced with the same decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.