Moving the heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ootski

Jan 9, 2008
Fredonia NY
We installed the pellet stove in a addition that is very well insulated but also very much 3-4 feet lower than the rest of the 2 story house. The temp in that room @350 sq ft is high 70's, up the stairs and ito the kitchen area it is around 70. Off the kitchen and in the front rooms in mid 60's at best. We keep the french doors that lead to up stairs closed or cracked during the day and somewhat open at night. I have tried placing large box fans in the room with the stove to force it up and into rest of first floor without much success. Any suggestions will be appreciated. When you leave the pellet room the rest of the house of course feels freezing. Also any suggestions on brands of pellets that are available in Western New York/Erie Pa? tks jh

ootski said:
We installed the pellet stove in a addition that is very well insulated but also very much 3-4 feet lower than the rest of the 2 story house. The temp in that room @350 sq ft is high 70's, up the stairs and ito the kitchen area it is around 70. Off the kitchen and in the front rooms in mid 60's at best. We keep the french doors that lead to up stairs closed or cracked during the day and somewhat open at night. I have tried placing large box fans in the room with the stove to force it up and into rest of first floor without much success. Any suggestions will be appreciated. When you leave the pellet room the rest of the house of course feels freezing. Also any suggestions on brands of pellets that are available in Western New York/Erie Pa? tks jh

move you fans... try putting them in diff locations... put one in the room that is coldest to bring cool air back to the stove cold air is very dense and difficult to move warm air rises over cold so put the fan on low and move cold air to the stove and also it will take a couple of hours to see any diff it won't just happen in a few minutes but i would blast my pellet stove for an hour and put a fan from the coldest room and then one in between so that you can create moving air on your floor back to the pellet stove by blasting the stove you can get faster results of course

I have bought my pellets from Agway the last three seasons and I have had no problem with them . I was told by the owner that Hammer out of Virginia makes them . There is a pellet plant in Youngsville near Warren I think their name is Allegheny .

Status
Not open for further replies.