Moving the heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pt0872

Oct 8, 2006
Carver, Mass
I have a Whitfield pellet stove in my dinning room of my 1100sf 1 story ranch. House looks like a rectangle.

The house was built in 1954 but an addition was put on.....a living room and a bedroom.

The pellet stove is in the corner of the dinning room pointing towards the kids room and the kitchen, but away from the living room and my bedroom.

The living room and bedroom are pretty chilly and I cant seem to get a lot of heat in these to rooms....even though they're only a few feet from the stove.

I was thinking of maybe putting a thru vent from the dinning room into the living room to help pass heat. But I'm a bit weary about cutting a hole in the top of my wall.....

Any other suggestions?

put a fan in the doorway on the floor and blow the cold thoward the heat your room will worm right up

In the room with the stove? and face it towards the stove?

Drawing your layout will probably help solicit better and more detailed advice.

flueinc said:
put a fan in the doorway on the floor and blow the cold thoward the heat your room will worm right up

This really works. Have big box fan blowing into the room with the stove and behind the fan up above it you can feel the warm air coming back at you and the kitchen warms right up.

Ok....my wife thinks I'm wacked.

Just read your post and went to the doorway where the "small" fan I have blowing from the cold room into the stove room.

Raised my hands up to the top of the door and I could feel the heat coming in, and this is from a small fan.

Wifey looked at me like I need to be commited until I told her what I was doing.

Thanks again all.....

Here is my layout been trying different things each night with the fans etc, dont think i have it yet :)
thats the first floor, 3 bedrooms up stairs

Attachments

• house web size.jpg
    house web size.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 775
Ok....
Did the small fan thing.

I put a thermometer in the living room that read 60*ish.....just checked it and it's just over 70*ish. So the theory is sound and does work.

Kast..... Your layout is nearly identical to mine with one small variation which is an interior window between what would be your pantry and dining room. In this window I have a simple 3 speed box fan. My stove sits in the corner to the right of your stove location....... Here is what I have been able to do so far.... Dining room temp 76.... all other downstairs rooms 71. Upstairs about 62 in all rooms but was able to get around 65 using fans in the stair area. The gain in temp was not worth the hastle so I got an electric blanket. Other info..... house is around 2100 sq ft..... Outside temp 30*........ House is about 135 yrs old......

Attachments

• house_scott.jpg
    house_scott.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 676
BadDad320 My house is about 1100SF and almost the same temps you get, still working on the right fan placement, with out having to many fans and using a lot of electricity.

pt0872 how did you place the fan, towards the stove in the same room or just in the cold room blowing towards the room with the stove?

Kast....

I put a small fan blowing FROM the cold room into the room with the stove.

First time in a long time I've been comfortable in the living room and sleeping was great....warm in my bedroom as well.

What about something for moving heat from downstairs to upstairs? I think the fan mentioned earlier in thread is not designed to be installed like that.

BadDad320 said:
Kast..... Your layout is nearly identical to mine with one small variation which is an interior window between what would be your pantry and dining room. In this window I have a simple 3 speed box fan. My stove sits in the corner to the right of your stove location....... Here is what I have been able to do so far.... Dining room temp 76.... all other downstairs rooms 71. Upstairs about 62 in all rooms but was able to get around 65 using fans in the stair area. The gain in temp was not worth the hastle so I got an electric blanket. Other info..... house is around 2100 sq ft..... Outside temp 30*........ House is about 135 yrs old......

"Little Pink Houses, For You and Me"-John Cougar Mellencamp - Sorry, couldn't resist

Kast....

I put a small fan blowing FROM the cold room into the room with the stove.

First time in a long time I’ve been comfortable in the living room and sleeping was great....warm in my bedroom as well.

At what height is the fan?

It's a small fan....so I placed it on the small table that the phone sits on....it's about 3' high and the fan blows towards the floor.

Really worked well for me, I could feel the heat coming in the room by the ceiling.

I joined mainly to comment and thank you all for the tip. I have been using two fans in one room to push the heat out to the rest of the rooms to try and heat the entire ranch home. So I turned off the box fan on the stove then turned the fan around by the door. My kids went to a birthday party today and brought home balloons.I then held the balloon outside the door and watched the balloon dance around. Then just to make sure I turned the fan around and got very little response from the balloon. The room with the stove is much more dealable to be in and the rest of the house is warmer. Thank you all. Im going to hang out and learn more.

You should have been told when you bought your stoves, and certainly should have read this elsewhere on this site:

A pellet stove is a space heater! They are not designed to heat an entire house, nor multiple floors. While you may be able to move some of the warm/cold air around, it is not a central heater.

My advice is to calculate the operating cost of a/the fan(s) to gain a few degrees, versus the operating cost of [a] space heater(s) to gain the temperature range you really desire.

Btw, I knew I would be having the same issues, so I bought a pellet boiler instead (see signature).

Status
Not open for further replies.