Moving to Europe, want to by pellet stove here, will it work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wcraigcarter

Jun 23, 2008
Boston
I am new to this group.

I've researched several pellet stove companies and hope to buy one as I make plans to move to Europe.

The company sells in europe, but the dealer says that they (the company) will not ship a 220V 60hz version.

The stove's maximum electrical power consumption is 440 watts---it is easy to find step-up transformers to convert from 120 to 220 volts.

Typically the frequency difference (50 hertz Europe/60 America) will only affect clock rates.

Do I risk buying one here (at half the price) and ship it with the rest of my belongings?

Many Thanks, WCC

Also consider shipping cost/insurance, customs duties, no warranty, no dealer support, parts, etc.

Plus, if you are only going to be an Ex-Pat for awhile there would probably be very limited demand if you want to sell it on your return.

Thanks GVA and EngineREP for the answers.

This will be a permanent installation and there is a shipment going already so this cost would not be additional. I am willing to go without the waranttee.

There is a fairly active market in France and several distributors.

I believe that my major concern would be the chip boards.

I am now wondering if I take the risk and send it over, whether I could just buy replacement electrical parts if the stove fails to work properly.

Thanks, WCC

Status
Not open for further replies.