Moving wood, getting ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clutch25

Feb 3, 2009
ND
Spent the last two weekends moving wood indoors for the cold part of the year. I plan to burn directly off the outdoor stacks until it gets to be too much work, then move to the indoor stuff. The "outside" stack in the garage is junk boxelder and slab wood for the early season.

What a pain, I cut most of this stuff a couple of inches too long due to not having a stove yet....so LOTS of "drops"!

Plus, new member of the family...

Attachments

• 9-12-11 101 (Medium).jpg
    9-12-11 101 (Medium).jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 507
  • 9-19-11 090 (Medium).jpg
    9-19-11 090 (Medium).jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 492
  • 9-19-11 091 (Medium).jpg
    9-19-11 091 (Medium).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 479
  • 9-19-11 092 (Medium).jpg
    9-19-11 092 (Medium).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 9-19-11 129 (Medium).jpg
    9-19-11 129 (Medium).jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 493
  • 9-19-11 048 (Medium).jpg
    9-19-11 048 (Medium).jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 479
those are some impresive stacks.

I am moving all my wood to the pull barn next week and then I will access what I still need to get.

Thanks! LOTS of work as you know....

Those stacks look great! It's always good to have wood inside like that when the snow starts to fly!

Cute pup, German Shepard?
How much do you have to lop off your splits? The first year I had 5 cords and most of it was an inch or two too long, yes its a pain.

Sweet setup for rotating. Aisle 3, bay 4 looks like it is ready to burn this year.

SolarAndWood said:
Sweet setup for rotating. Aisle 3, bay 4 looks like it is ready to burn this year.

oops, pickup in aisle 2

Yes, German Shepard...going to be a BIG boy!

Those wood stacks started out as one row about 50ft long, then 2 rows, then 2 rows 90ft long, the 1 more in the middle (actually split in 2 by a little stand of ash trees). The outiside row that has had wood taken from it had some pulled out last winter on the west end, that got replaced with all dead standing oak this spring, then about june I added a bunch of ash to the east end of it.

Some of the splits had to have and inch off, others up to a foot. You can tell on the wood pile about the time I bought my add on furnace for home (this wood is at my mothers house and will be used for her heat now), the cut lenght went from about 12" (a little saw happy) to almost 30'. The stack on the north side of the lot is going to be ALOT of work next year. Cut lenth of 2' or so and not split very small, so not only will I have to trim it, I will have to split it again too....sigh...

clutch, looks like you have some good dry wood to burn. Congratulations on that. Here's a picture of the wood we put inside last fall. There was 3 cord in there.

3cordsstackedinbarn.jpg

Your wood stacks always look WAY to neat!

Thanks clutch. Zap taught me how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.