Moving Wood on Ice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
I needed to restock the wood supply for our basement stove but it was too icy to use the wheelbarrow. I remembered reading several posts about moving wood with a sled. It worked very well. I had trouble getting traction but the slide really moved well over the ice. I only dropped a few partial loads and didn't fall down.
IMG_20190218_090954391-COLLAGE.jpg

Kahtoola microspikes are the other important tool when working on ice. I use them for climbing the local mountains and keep my old pair for around the house. If you don't have traction on ice there is lot of wasted effort, switch to spikes and moving around is lot less work.

Last edited:
Reactions: PA Fire Bug
yaktracks

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I suggest Woodford Reserve and Tovolo sphere ice molds. In the mood to splurge? Try Booker's.

Last edited:
There are all sorts of knock off clones of various traction devices. Probably fine for moving wood on icy surfaces not so fine when I am climbing local mountains as the knockoffs are pretty notorious for failing when you need them. Even Yaktracks have their issues when things get "interesting"