Mower deck cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
z22.jpg

Reactions: MasterMech
Man is that a JD stx 38 deck ?

sorry just quit while your ahead oh its' to late

just pulling your chain , hope your efforts pay off for ya!

cheers

Reactions: smokinj
Man is that a JD stx 38 deck ?

sorry just quit while your ahead oh its' to late

just pulling your chain , hope your efforts pay off for ya!

cheers

Pretty close just 2x the hp and a whole lot more rpms to the deck ;) But I want one set up with a one bottom plow....:)

I've been eyeing some graphite based paint that Tractor Supply sells for gravity box wagons. Supposed to be slick stuff and I'm thinking I'd like to try it on a mower deck someday. It is labeled for use as such.

After you paint it all up, use the fluid film. It helps. I use it on my commercial mowers. It's not an end all solution, but it sure helps keep alot of it from sticking. Reapply it every month or so and all is well. On your tractor, use a set of car ramps and you dont even have to drop the deck. The spray cans are pretty pricey for what you get, so I buy quarts and use an old paint brush to apply it.

FWIW, it works pretty darn good on snowblower chutes too.
I've just got to try that stuff I guess. I've been resistant because of the cost and it would take a lot to coat my triple 61" deck.

I hook a heavy duty strap from the ROP bar to a tree. Creep the mower forward and do a wheelie until the front is pitched upward enough to access the deck. I then use a hose to clean it. This is a 2-3 times a year event, usually when I am replacing the blades. Otherwise I do the same thing to expose the blades and sharpen them while on the deck. Just a touch up edging with this:
41HBGTBXPRL.jpg

I hook a heavy duty strap from the ROP bar to a tree. Creep the mower forward and do a wheelie until the front is pitched upward enough to access the deck. I then use a hose to clean it. This is a 2-3 times a year event, usually when I am replacing the blades. Otherwise I do the same thing to expose the blades and sharpen them while on the deck. Just a touch up edging with this:
41HBGTBXPRL.jpg

There it is! I used a wire wheel. (It was a pain in the butt)

I hook a heavy duty strap from the ROP bar to a tree. Creep the mower forward and do a wheelie until the front is pitched upward enough to access the deck.

Sounds like a roll-over waiting to happen. I use an old pair of heavy steel oil change ramps, 1970's style.

<-- once took out some landscape lighting with the zero-turn when a hornet buzzed my face at the wrong moment.

Nice job Jay...

I have been forced to cut grass while it is sprinkling this year. (Baseball season and I got roped into coaching again)
This year is the latest I have seen the corn and beans go in the ground. I have to cut 2 times a week.

I clean my deck every chance I get with the scraper. Then hit the bottom with lube of what ever sort.
Sharp blades are the ticket. I cut everything higher in the spring.

Last year I think I only cut the grass 2 more time from this point on. exaggeration yes but not by much.

Nice job Jay...

I have been forced to cut grass while it is sprinkling this year. (Baseball season and I got roped into coaching again)
This year is the latest I have seen the corn and beans go in the ground. I have to cut 2 times a week.

I clean my deck every chance I get with the scraper. Then hit the bottom with lube of what ever sort.
Sharp blades are the ticket. I cut everything higher in the spring.

Last year I think I only cut the grass 2 more time from this point on. exaggeration yes but not by much.

That's what I will be doing for now on....What a cutting season this will be. Should lower hay prices a bit. ;)

I'm still cutting every 5th day, but now it looks reasonable, versus looking like I was cutting hay earlier this spring. Can't bear to cut 4 acres more than once every 5 days.

I blow off the mower and top of deck / pulleys with the hand-held leaf blower after each mowing. I clean the underside of the deck and sharpen all 7 blades (14 edges) once at the end of each season. I always tell myself I'll do a mid-season sharpening, but it never actually happens.

They have been baling around me already. Nice stuff too.
I dont mind the wet weather. It sure keeps me busy.

I picked up 2 truck loads of Locust last weekend.
It was down already. The guys cutting it burned their bars up pretty good. LOL

They tell me they hate the stuff. It burns too hot to run in a fire place. ::P

Yeah, its hot alright.

Down to every 5 days now...was @ 3 to start the year.

Reactions: smokinj and Ashful
sharpen all 7 blades (14 edges)

WTH are you running? I thought you had a Deere 757, those were 3 spindlee machines last time I checked. 7 spindles is WAM (Wide Area Mower) territory....

WTH are you running? I thought you had a Deere 757, those were 3 spindlee machines last time I checked. 7 spindles is WAM (Wide Area Mower) territory....

Multiple machines... 3 spindles on Deere Z-757 60" deck, another three spindles on the Cub 123 48" deck (recently replaced with Deere 855 with 72" deck), and one spindle on my push mower. In the past, all three machines would get a yearly sharpening, but since I haven't been using the 72" deck (the Z-757 is faster and neater), I will be down to only four blades this year!

I was mowing roughly 5.5 - 6.0 acres last year, as I was trying to keep the property next to mine neat. I would use the Z-757 on my own property, and the Cub on the other property. Now that's sold, and I'm down to mowing less than 4 acres.

Down to every 5 days now...was @ 3 to start the year.

lol, you are right.......5 days is letting me get some get parts in. Mowed last Sunday Night. Parts should be here by Thursday. I hope.

Multiple machines... 3 spindles on Deere Z-757 60" deck, another three spindles on the Cub 123 48" deck (recently replaced with Deere 855 with 72" deck), and one spindle on my push mower. In the past, all three machines would get a yearly sharpening, but since I haven't been using the 72" deck (the Z-757 is faster and neater), I will be down to only four blades this year!

I was mowing roughly 5.5 - 6.0 acres last year, as I was trying to keep the property next to mine neat. I would use the Z-757 on my own property, and the Cub on the other property. Now that's sold, and I'm down to mowing less than 4 acres.

4 is what I am mowing now. 2 mine la 135 and 2 for my uncle lx 277. Mowing I think the 135 does a better.

4 is what I am mowing now. 2 mine la 135 and 2 for my uncle lx 277. Mowing I think the 135 does a better.
If that's a 48C on the LX277 it should mow waaay better than the LA 135.

If that's a 48C on the LX277 it should mow waaay better than the LA 135.

its a 42 inch deck and it don't have near the rpm and its pretty shady lawn, but Good grass(Treated 6 times a year) but no way as thick as mine. He has it Serviced from dealership two time a year. 135 has a much cleaner look and better wind rows even with the deck full of crap.

42C should cut good too. Set 'em up 1/8" lower in the front than the rear. RPM's from the motor should be similar (the LX277 is very quiet compared to your LA 135). Could also depend on what blades are under each deck. Best appearance will come from the high-lift or bagging blades. The deck shells are identical in shape. Main differences are in the spindles and the mounts. Blades are interchangeable. ;)

Dealerships often don't take the time to set a deck up for best cut. Especially if the cust isn't complaining.

42C should cut good too. Set 'em up 1/8" lower in the front than the rear. RPM's from the motor should be similar (the LX277 is very quiet compared to your LA 135). Could also depend on what blades are each deck. Best appearance will come from the high-lift or bagging blades.

Dealerships often don't take the time to set a deck up for best cut. Especially if the cust isn't complaining.

It cuts good but in no way its it cutting better than the 135. My turf full sun and very thick his is maybe 7 hours of sun and thick for that condition. (15 years in lawn care) ;) Between me and the gf mowing we both would pick the 135 for mowing. 9135 has 280 hrs and the 277 has 300)

That's crazy. The LX277 should be quieter and more comfortable in every way, costs 2x what your LA did too!

Don't make me come out there........ ;)

My internal organs wish I would switch back to mowing with a tractor. I don't know how these guys who ride Z-traks all day do it! I hurt after just a few hours on mine, and I'm in good shape. Tried mowing right after dinner once, and felt like I should have obeyed the 40 minute rule for swimming after eating.

That's crazy. The LX277 should be quieter and more comfortable in every way, costs 2x what your LA did too!

Don't make me come out there........ ;)

Please do! Everything about the 135 is faster mower and cleaner cut. Right down to peddle placement to turning easier to hit the rio and faster in the straight away better seat to! (One thicker turf) He has no kids so it will be mine someday.:eek: So get out here we can race them lol

My internal organs wish I would switch back to mowing with a tractor. I don't know how these guys who ride Z-traks all day do it! I hurt after just a few hours on mine, and I'm in good shape. Tried mowing right after dinner once, and felt like I should have obeyed the 40 minute rule for swimming after eating.
I think Deere offered a suspension kit for those, even tho the stock seat is good. The pros know that the seat matters!

Check tire psi too. Doesn't hurt to drop 'em a couple pounds under spec and see if that helps. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.