Mower Woes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrogirl

May 27, 2008
SE WI
I might have killed my less than 1 year old Yard Machine 190cc Briggs & Stratton engine.

I went to use it for the 2nd time this year and added a quart of Penzoil 10W30 oil (later saw that the capacity was 20 oz) and filled the gas tank with 2 week old unleaded gas. While running, black smoke poured out the side. Eventually the smoke mostly subsided, but the engine sounded like it was half-heartedly running. Now I can't get the engine to start. From your perspective, is it worth taking the mower in for repair or should I bite the bullet and get a "better" one?

BTW, I have no mechanical skills or anyone whom to ask for help. I will be grateful for all your help!

Pook - Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I changed the spark plug (well actually I stopped by an independent auto mechanic shop and got them to - took 20 seconds), changed the air filter and siphoned out the excess oil and VIOLA, the mower works like a charm!

With the floods by me more people are gonna need your set up to keep the skeeters away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.