Mr. Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

I told BG I was not going to post for a while (I was hyjacking threads) but I thought I would report my lastest adventure with the wood stove.
Started a fire from scratch.
Five 3 or 4 inch pieces of Green Ash, lincoln log style
Set the damper at 45 degree angle and primary air a little past halfway, have done the setting in the past and worked good, no fan.
Called the daughter in S. Korea for Christmas call.
45 min. later I have a actual (IR testor) stove top of 868. :ahhh:
This stove has a mind of its own so my nick name for it is Mr. Summit
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I hope you keep posting Oldspark! Mr. Summit got HOT! Cheers!

Merry Christmas Sparks! It's good to have a thread dedicated to Mr. Summit. So it can really heat after all? Was that enough to take off the woolies? %-P

FWIW, I definitely encourage OS to keep posting, but to keep posts specific to his own stove questions to a dedicated thread like this one. I advise all regular posters to do the same, not just OS, especially when there is a problem. In this case, he was getting grumpy about people not remembering info he had posted. I was frustrated that this important information was spread amongst several, different threads, some which I wasn't really following. A dedicated thread is much better.

Now back to the stove. How is Mrs. Summit liking it?

Lol a little air goes a long way! That's how u get that blast of heat! When I need massive heat fast trying to close it down doesn't work, it shows 700 but with more air it feels a lot different more coming through the window ...
Lol I hate to say told ya so! These things are constant learning curve and its year 4 or 5 for me...
I have learned that I love my wood barkless and if it sits inside for a day or 2 whatever leftover moisture is out and it burns even better..
Also learned that raking coals to the front isn't always they way to go.. when I need s restart yes, but when I want to blast off quick just spread them out! Oh and I love my summit!
Last year my stove was going nuclear... I learned how to put a 1 inch gasket on it and now the hottest it might get is 750-800
But that's rare
If u like it hot turn it down to the L should still see 7+ but not 868! LOL
I am so happy for you!

oldspark said:
I told BG I was not going to post for a while (I was hyjacking threads) but I thought I would report my lastest adventure with the wood stove.
Set the damper at 45 degree angle and primary air a little past halfway, have done the setting in the past and worked good, no fan.

WOW! What does having something 868 degrees do to a room? It must be a massive wall of heat.

Have to ask,why rake coals to the front?

Bub381 said:
Have to ask,why rake coals to the front?
I do it before reload with the air way up to burn down the coals some...primary air washes over the glass then lands at the bottom front.
I can get really good heat for a few hours that way.
Then I too usually spread them around when I'm ready to load up.

oldspark said:

Holy cow OS you've gone thermonuclear! I sent you a PM this AM with something to try.. Stick around I see no reason to leave!

Ray

Maybe you hit that new record because you finally stopped fiddling with the air and just let it go. I know many people jump the gun and turn it down too soon thinking there's too much flame or they're try to extend the burn time. Sometimes it's just best to let her rip.

Definitely stick around longer oldspark. We'd miss you greatly. I'd also suggest you be careful when propping up your feet to warm them by that stove to keep a safe distance lest you burn your socks.

Todd said:
Maybe you hit that new record because you finally stopped fiddling with the air and just let it go. I know m people jump the gun and turn it down too soon thinking there's too much flame or they're try to extend the burn time. Sometimes it's just best to let her rip.

X2 done that many times..... She will get hot eventually but I won't be home ...
Plus BB Said this last year - sometimes just loading to the top of the bricks it needs some air when I pack it tight its not gonna hit 700 .. if it does I am not around .. it will hit 5-600 .. when I load up to the bricks or give it a couple inches to breathe ... Doesn't take long at all

Am glad you guys want me to keep posting and I promise to not hyjack threads any more :sick: Couldn't stay away if I tried.
I am begining to think it is the damper making a difference and maybe the criss crossing of the wood.
Burnt another fire tonight just like this morning, these are from a cold stove no coals at all, in the 40's during the day here.
Start the fire and let the flue temp get up to about 400 and set the damper at a 45 degree angle and the flue temp slows way down and the stove starts to catch up and continues on up to 650, I kept an eye on it toninght and closed the primary air down and turned the fan at 650 or so.
The fire looks different using the damper, the flames move around in a more rolling fashion and the secondaries are going crazy, could be this Green Ash maybe, will continue to learn.
No Mrs. Summit BG as Mr. Summit likes to do his own thing, little Summits would be neat though. :lol:
P.S 868 on the stove is not too hot as the stove is in a large area so the heat gets away from the stove in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.