1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

ms 290 bar and chain

Post in 'The Gear' started by jrendfrey, Nov 3, 2012.

1. jrendfrey

jrendfrey Member

Loc:
    green mtns vt
    hey guys first time posting in this room but i was wondering about my ms 290. i bought it new with a 16 inch bar and chain. everything i get around northern vt is between 10-24 inches so the bar does just fine plenty of power with the saw i was wondering if i can put a 3/8 full chisel chain on it. do i need a different bar on the saw or is it just not going to work. i have a stihl dealer close but sometimes i wonder about him havent aske or anything just want to see what you guys say. thanks for the response ahead of time

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dyno625

Dyno625 Member

Loc:
    Kentucky
    my 290 has a. 325 chain on it. so a 3/8 chain would require a change of bar and the clutch bell as well. the easiest thing to do is just replace your chain with a stihl rapid super chain. It is a full chisel chain and can be bought to work with your current bar.
  3. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    +1 on that I put the chisel chain on my ms290 and love it
  4. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    General rules:

Pitch of saw drive sprocket, pitch of bar (if it has a tip sprocket), and pitch of chain MUST match.
    Gauge of bar and gauge chain must match. (saw drive sprockets don't have gauge).

To change pitch on a standard 290, you must swap out the clutch drum (w/spur sprocket) instead of simply swapping rim sprockets.