Ms 360

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
So I finally picked up a new saw to take care of some big wood on my lot.
It is a ms 360 with 16" bar on it (I will need to get a bigger bar to get through some of the trunk)
Question...

Is the 360 50cc or 62cc
on stilh site it states 50cc
on the saw it says 62cc

if it is 62cc what is the recommended bar length I should go with?

Again, thank you for educating us non experts!

Should be a 62cc saw and will run a 20" bar with no trouble.

Thank you all. I think I got myself a nice saw. It will be interesting
to see how she cuts. I am so used to cutting with my little 170
and taking my time as she bogs down on some logs. I need to pick up
new bar and chain for it. The air filter looks pretty dirty. Do I need to
remove the two silver screws in order to remove the filter?

360 with a 20" bar and full comp, full chisel chain is a good all-around saw.

That link is the owner's manul, it should answer pretty much all your questions.

Hang onto the short b&c and get a 20 or 24" set depending on what you need to cut regularly. Should pull a 20" chain wiht significant authority.

lukem said:
360 with a 20" bar and full comp, full chisel chain is a good all-around saw.

Not sure about full chisel...I mostly cutting downed trees and usually dirty. I am told here that such type of chain will dull quickly in such wood.

If I go with 24" bar should I get a skip tooth?

Stick with semi, 24-25 full skip!

smokinjay said:

Thanks Jay, I will see the dealer today and hopefully he has one in stock as well as the bar.

smokinjay said:
A 360 should be able to pull that bar with semi-chisel and NO skip, right jay? I mean, I'm running my 028 with a 20" bar and semi-chisel and unless the thing is totally buried in some hard oak it keeps the speed up pretty nicely...

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
A 360 should be able to pull that bar with semi-chisel and NO skip, right jay? I mean, I'm running my 028 with a 20" bar and semi-chisel and unless the thing is totally buried in some hard oak it keeps the speed up pretty nicely...

Not very well...Its going to stall alot with no skip. (Full skip would be best) My 460 will stall more than I like with a 32 full skip.

Diabel said:
smokinjay said:

Thanks Jay, I will see the dealer today and hopefully he has one in stock as well as the bar.

33RMC Series chain is what your after. 33RMF is the full skip version

33RMC72 - 20" Chain Full comp.
33RMF84 - 24" Chain Full Skip

Busy week....kids & stuff.

Finally had a chance to see my dealer and look at some bars & chains. EXPENSIVE!!!
He recommended 21" full chisel chain, after tax $120.00! Any places I can get this setup (or similar) cheaper...online?

Thanks

btw his opinion is that a 21" chisel chain will cut at the same speed as 25" skip tooth bar.... Me no clue!

360 with a 20 here. My favorite saw!

FireAnt said:

Do you run chisel or safety chain?

Diabel said:
FireAnt said:

Do you run chisel or safety chain?

Safety- I got 3 for free, so I run those right now. Full on the 460

Ok where do I find this chain? My dealer would have to order it I suppose $$$$$$$$$$$

Diabel said:
Ok where do I find this chain? My dealer would have to order it I suppose $$$$$$$$$$$

I dunno. I just walk in to my dealer and say i need a chain (or two) and he already knows what I'm talking about. That's 30 years of customer service, I guess.

Diabel said:
Busy week....kids & stuff.

Finally had a chance to see my dealer and look at some bars & chains. EXPENSIVE!!!
He recommended 21" full chisel chain, after tax $120.00! Any places I can get this setup (or similar) cheaper...online?

Thanks

btw his opinion is that a 21" chisel chain will cut at the same speed as 25" skip tooth bar.... Me no clue!

Hope that was for carbide chain! Call another dealer or two to get pricing. I think you'll find parts pricing to vary a bit from dealer to dealer.

Here's my recomendation:

20" Rollomatic ES Bar 3003-000-9622 (This is the wide tip version, better for plunge cuts, less $$ - go figure.)
20" Full-Comp Semi-Chisel Chain 33RMC72 (Stays sharp longer in dirty wood)
OR
20" Full-Comp Full Chisel Chain 33RSC72

Dealers are more likely to stock "Full chisel" chain in a non-safety variety since that's what everyone is told they "need". Semi Chisel chain is not necessarily safety chain although many safety chains are indeed semi. Stihl actually makes and ships saws with a full-chisel safety chain (that actually cuts quite well). It's the RSC3 chain which is the same as the RSC chain but with single humped drivelinks.

I just checked Bailey's and you can pick these up for $85 or less. You can do an aftermarket 20" B&C combo for under $60 but IMO the quality and performance of Stihl cutting hardware justifies a little extra coin.

The Semi-Chisel Chain - http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS+3650+005+0072&catID;=
The Full-Chisel Chain - http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS+3623+005+0072&catID;=
The Bar - http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS+3003+000+9622&catID;=

Here is my new toy!!

24-25" bar full chisel chain. Can't wait to put it to work.
Tested the saw the other day with the 16" bar, it ripped through some yellow birch like there was no tomorrow!!! I was almost laughing to myself. The saw is heavy but as some said here it just pulls on its own. Total cost for this set up 200 for the saw 110 for bar, chain, set of files & gal of oil = 310.00 good deal me thinks!!

Special thanks to Jay who recommended this setup (I believe)

Attachments

• MS360.jpg
    MS360.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,492
Diabel said:
310.00 good deal me thinks!!

Sounds like a deal to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.