MS170 non-working DEAL?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
You have a volt meter?
yes.

Take the coil off and see what or any ohms you get out of it..(This part not good at I let my brother do it) But if you cant get any readings on any setting take it to the dealership they will test it for free. Make sure to check behind the muff. first! lol
lemme see what I can dig up on this. I know I test the old coil on my Fiat this way, there is a primary winding and a secondary winding. I wonder if I can dig up specs...

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
You have a volt meter?
yes.

Take the coil off and see what or any ohms you get out of it..(This part not good at I let my brother do it) But if you cant get any readings on any setting take it to the dealership they will test it for free. Make sure to check behind the muff. first! lol
lemme see what I can dig up on this. I know I test the old coil on my Fiat this way, there is a primary winding and a secondary winding. I wonder if I can dig up specs...

Would not worry to much about spec's unless your getting good readings....lol Probally a flat line all the way. In that casr let the dealer give you a 2nd opinion!

Just got back in from some more tinkering and cleaning. This saw is super easy to take apart/put together. I had the muffler off, too and the exhaust side of the piston looks very clean. I had heard a lot of stories about there being carbon flakes blocking the screen in the muffler, but it was clean, too.

Didn't try for any readings on the coil yet, but made sure all connections were good and that everything on the flywheel was clean just to make sure that wasn't the problem. there was a chunk out of a fin, haven't decided whether or not to worry about that. I'm sure I'll be able to tell if it's a problem once the saw runs. I've seen good runners that lost two or three complete fins without any major problems, though, so I prob won't bother unless I ever run across a parts saw.

everything appears to be in good working order except for the spark issue. I'll prob just drop the cash for a new coil. I imagine ebay is going to beat my dealer on price, no?

Danno77 said:
Just got back in from some more tinkering and cleaning. This saw is super easy to take apart/put together. I had the muffler off, too and the exhaust side of the piston looks very clean. I had heard a lot of stories about there being carbon flakes blocking the screen in the muffler, but it was clean, too.

Didn't try for any readings on the coil yet, but made sure all connections were good and that everything on the flywheel was clean just to make sure that wasn't the problem. there was a chunk out of a fin, haven't decided whether or not to worry about that. I'm sure I'll be able to tell if it's a problem once the saw runs. I've seen good runners that lost two or three complete fins without any major problems, though, so I prob won't bother unless I ever run across a parts saw.

everything appears to be in good working order except for the spark issue. I'll prob just drop the cash for a new coil. I imagine ebay is going to beat my dealer on price, no?

Maybe, But would go there first because they will know for sure if thats the problem.....Sometimes its just better to buy from the dealer this maybe one of them.

here's a few pictures of it post clean up and reassembly:

Attachments

• DSCN0847 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0847 (Small).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0848 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0848 (Small).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN0849 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0849 (Small).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 212
Looks Nice! Cant think it could be any thing but the coil.

I should have done before pics for it. It looked a lot worse, trust me. Guy who sold it to me asked me to let him know if i ever get it running again. When I do, i might just send him a link to this thread so he can see how nice it looks.

I impulse ebayed and won an auction for a "new" coil. cost 12.95 + 3.50 (estimated) shipping.

I probably will regret not taking it to the dealer for a second opinion, but I feel pretty confident about my diagnosis. I guess we'll see.

Danno77 said:
I impulse ebayed and won an auction for a "new" coil. cost 12.95 + 3.50 (estimated) shipping.

I probably will regret not taking it to the dealer for a second opinion, but I feel pretty confident about my diagnosis. I guess we'll see.

Its a pretty safe bet and 15.00 will put you up to 55.00 total...lol room still for a new chain......

new coil gives me spark. I'm still not getting any sort of reaction, though. even when I remove the plug and pour some mix in. Heck, when that wouldn't work, I even shot some starter fluid into the cylinder, threw the plug on and yanked. not so much as a teensy hiccup. (if you are reading this, please don't try that with a nice saw...)

any ideas?

Danno77 said:
new coil gives me spark. I'm still not getting any sort of reaction, though. even when I remove the plug and pour some mix in. Heck, when that wouldn't work, I even shot some starter fluid into the cylinder, threw the plug on and yanked. not so much as a teensy hiccup. (if you are reading this, please don't try that with a nice saw...)

any ideas?

Does the spark look strong? My first thought is always a bad spot in the plug wire.

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

any ideas?

Does the spark look strong? My first thought is always a bad spot in the plug wire.
no, not really strong, IMO. wire is part of the coil. I might try a new plug and make sure gap is good.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

any ideas?

no, not really strong, IMO. wire is part of the coil. I might try a new plug and make sure gap is good.

No Spark to a little spark. Your moving.lol Thats a good next move.

Try bending the electrode up (just short of straight up and down) on a good spark plug.....then turn out the lights and see if your spark will jump that gap. If so it's pretty strong, if not, you may have weak fire.

HittinSteel said:
Try bending the electrode up (just short of straight up and down) on a good spark plug.....then turn out the lights and see if your spark will jump that gap. If so it's pretty strong, if not, you may have weak fire.
Or grab it in both hand and let someone pull real hard. If your still standing up stright its weak...lol Just Kidding!

reading up over on the AS and thinking that if the plug doesn't do it, then I need to double check the gap between the flywheel and the coil. I figured closer was better, so maybe I have it too close. I don't remember what I was using for the gap, I think it was just a piece of regular paper, which would be half of what it should be. I'll try a business card maybe and work from there.

I'm sure I can get this saw worked out. Good thing I'm not considering labor in the cost of this stupid saw. If I didn't enjoy working with these saws so much I'd have thrown the stupid thing back on CL for the next guy. It really hasn't been that bad, but it seems like it's taking forever because I had to wait for that coil to come in the mail.

My nightly routine after the kids head to bed is to run down to the shop with beer in hand and tinker with saws, chains, and the like. Having a nice bench/shop to do work on/in makes this all so enjoyable I can't even believe it. It's almost time to add a small AC to the barn, though. It was hot in there the other day!

Danno77 said:
reading up over on the AS and thinking that if the plug doesn't do it, then I need to double check the gap between the flywheel and the coil. I figured closer was better, so maybe I have it too close. I don't remember what I was using for the gap, I think it was just a piece of regular paper, which would be half of what it should be. I'll try a business card maybe and work from there.

I'm sure I can get this saw worked out. Good thing I'm not considering labor in the cost of this stupid saw. If I didn't enjoy working with these saws so much I'd have thrown the stupid thing back on CL for the next guy. It really hasn't been that bad, but it seems like it's taking forever because I had to wait for that coil to come in the mail.

My nightly routine after the kids head to bed is to run down to the shop with beer in hand and tinker with saws, chains, and the like. Having a nice bench/shop to do work on/in makes this all so enjoyable I can't even believe it. It's almost time to add a small AC to the barn, though. It was hot in there the other day!

Your on it one step at a time...Should still be worth it in the long run. Cant rember did you check the piston and if yes how it look?

smokinjay said:
Your on it one step at a time...Should still be worth it in the long run. Cant rember did you check the piston and if yes how it look?
from the exhaust side it looked VERY nice. I don't have a compression tester, so I can't tell you any more than that! Took the muffler apart, too and it looked fairly clean. just a coat of soot, but nothing restrictive. If I can't get it with new plug and coil gap, then it's going to the dealer for an examination.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
from the exhaust side it looked VERY nice. I don't have a compression tester, so I can't tell you any more than that! Took the muffler apart, too and it looked fairly clean. just a coat of soot, but nothing restrictive. If I can't get it with new plug and coil gap, then it's going to the dealer for an examination.

I think after everything you just said you dead on top of it.....If you dont see scores than your going to be fine.

Well, darnit. I replaced plug and messed with that gap. Spark looks a little better, not much, in fact it could all be in my head.

Still won't run. I decide that it doesn't look like the plug is getting as wet as I'd like. I fill the tank, because maybe there isn't enough fuel in there for the way the filter is hanging in there. Then I set the saw upright to start it and gas pours everywhere. Now I disassemble the saw to figure out why the gas keeps spilling everywhere. I yank off the carb. (intake side of piston looks great, BTW.) and pull out the gas tank. The fuel vent looks good, but the fuel line has this horrible kink in it where it enters the tank. I can't blow air through that line in either direction, so I'll be replacing the line next.

I had poured gas directly into the carb, though, so I don't know why I still am not getting any ignition. One thing at a time. I'll replace this line, then I'll look at getting a kit for the carb.

I need to take a picture of this fuel line. I've never seen anything like it. It seriously looks like the fuel line made a couple of twists AND then was exposed to high enough heat to melt the line where the twist was. could this be due to some ethanol kind of damage? I dunno. I've only seen pinholes and line damage like that. This line looks solid and pliable. it's just weird.

So, for the running total I'm into this saw for
Saw + coil + plug(tax included)
40 + 16.45 + 2 = $58.45
(beer drank during the process not included)

Now I'll need this fuel line.

If I can get this saw going, then I'm happy. I'll have been through almost everything, so I know what I'm working with. that's about the only plus to taking this whole saw apart, once I'm done I'll know there isn't going to be some lurking problem that I'll have to deal with out in the woods some day.

oops. a double post.
At least this gets my post count up so I can maybe some day catch Jay with his 10K+ posts.

kevin j said:
how are the connections on the ground side?
The new coil came with all new connectors and wires. They all look good.

Danno77 said:
kevin j said:
how are the connections on the ground side?
The new coil came with all new connectors and wires. They all look good.

You test that coil? What did the new plug give you? fly wheel?

haven't tested the coils yet. Just did the swap.

I went to the dealership today and got a new fuel line. Lucked out and they didn't have to order it. had ONE on hand. Cost 3 something plus tax. not horrible.

I'm very close to taking it to the Stihl mech. and letting him sort it out. If nothing else they can confirm the coil working by swapping mine to a known good saw, or swapping the coil from a known good saw to mine. I get the impression that's how they generally do it, instead of testing the actual coil readings with a multimeter, etc.

Tonight I'll try the new fuel line and see where I'm at.

Status
Not open for further replies.