MS170 non-working DEAL?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
haven't tested the coils yet. Just did the swap.

I went to the dealership today and got a new fuel line. Lucked out and they didn't have to order it. had ONE on hand. Cost 3 something plus tax. not horrible.

I'm very close to taking it to the Stihl mech. and letting him sort it out. If nothing else they can confirm the coil working by swapping mine to a known good saw, or swapping the coil from a known good saw to mine. I get the impression that's how they generally do it, instead of testing the actual coil readings with a multimeter, etc.

Tonight I'll try the new fuel line and see where I'm at.

This is wear my brother is very handy. (not much else) lol He does that kind of work for over 30 years. Haven't ever had a electric part he couldn't test.

Ok, this needs an update. I eventually got peeved at the saw and set it to the side.

Just picked the saw back up a couple of weeks ago and I was getting spark, but no ignition. Not even a hiccup with starter fluid. Noticed there was no fuel, so checked the fuel lines again. They were kinked. Then I pulled the plug and left it kinda hanging there near the hole. Gave it a yank, and flash-flash-flash-flash. The spark was strong enough to ignite the fuel from near the hole, that's a good sign. I've heard, however, that if you have a weak spark, sometimes the compression hinders it from fully igniting the fuel. I was hopeful that my spark isn't the problem, I've tried two coils and three plugs, and messed with coil gap and plug gap, etc.

I have checked the piston from intake and exhaust sides and it looked nice, but there is only one way to be certain. That brings us today. Pictures in next post.

eadfa89a.jpg

c8f9df43.jpg

f90507ad.jpg

What do ya think? I think I found the problem. Luckily the p&c didn't eat anything from this that could cause damage.

Anybody have a junked 170 laying around. I bet that other saws share this, too. I'll check my IPL for a number and do some googling...

Anybody know if I have to replace the whole crankshaft? It's not serviceable? My IPL doesn't break that down...lame.

Part number: 1132 030 0401

Dangit. It's just so expensive!

Might have one coming from an AS member. Will keep y'all posted.

Edit: got it for $10 to my door! Online communities are a godsend for this sort of thing!

Need help with bar and chain (if I get this running).

Bar?
http://tinyurl.com/cn8l9v8

Chain?
http://tinyurl.com/85plkna

Will those work together AND that is a non-safety chain, no? That seems to be about the best (and inexpensive) chain and barI can find that is 3/8 & .043...

Still trying to keep it low cost. I've had various saws in various states of disassembly, but I have NEVER had a saw completely apart like this. It has been something of a learning experience and a definite confidence booster. Highly advise this sort of endeavor to anybody who wants to be able to work on their REAL saws...

If all goes well the future for this saw may hold an upgraded carb, modded muffler, and mild porting. I hear those things make it run like a completely different saw. Again, that endeavor is valuable in more than can be measured monetarily, so IMO, totally "worth it"

Another value to having a saw like this totally apart is that I have inspected and cleaned every single piece of it, which provides some peace of mind to what could be lurking when one buys a used saw.

Guess who has 2 thumbs and a working MS170???

This guy!

Having problems with idle. Haven't taken the time to adjust it yet and haven't run it in wood yet, but clutch, brake, and all the other pieces seem to work well.

Pictures and maybe video of it up and running will come soon. BTW, completely stock at this point. Haven't obtained different main jets, so it wouldn't have done any good. Besides, I just wanted it to get it done as cheaply as possible.

If you don't count the extra coil I purchased and the extra plug, the. It really was only the cost of a new fuel line from the dealership and ten bucks sent to a nice guy with a used crank assembly!

I'd say it was well worth it!

Nice, recruiting the kid the shoot video for you. :lol: Hope she feels better. New chains for that unit should be uber-cheap IIRC. Around 12-13 bucks? What's with all the smoke?

MasterMech said:
Nice, recruiting the kid the shoot video for you. :lol: Hope she feels better. New chains for that unit should be uber-cheap IIRC. Around 12-13 bucks? What's with all the smoke?
Yeah. Chains and bar should be super cheap. I'm not sure what the deal is with the smoke. I used 40:1 premix that you buy in a bottle.

MasterMech said:
There ya go, 50:1 is the official mix recommendation.
Didn't know that. Figured it was ??:1 or 50:1 if you use Stihl premium synthetic oil or something like that.

Well, just to satisfy my curiosity I looked it up in the manual:

Stihl 50:1 or equivalent high-quality oils

no wonder it smoked so much...

Mastermind, Thanks for the lead on the bumper spikes, I just picked one up for about $5 to my door on fleabay...

You're welcome! Sounds like it was priced right! Should see if you can get some oversized felling dawgs on it and bury it in a log. Could be your next avatar! :lol: ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.