MS192 in decent shape for $130.00....should I or shouldn't I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

I need to upgrade my limbing saws and I've been prowling for one. Well I think I found one, and it's been recently serviced, for $130.00. Three extra chains, looks to be in nice shape, should I risk being castrated and go for the deal or do I pass on it and regret it when I'm 70' up the next big tree I have to top (which will be very soon!).....I already know my answer to this one, just trolling for some input from my peeps here....;)

Hmmm...let's try this one on:

With that price, I don't think you are spending money...you are just diversifying your portfolio with OPE assets rather than cash or cash equivalents. You'll get that $ back if/when you sell it...that saw is probably done depreciating...it's all uphill from here if well maintained.

Reactions: ScotO
Hmmm...let's try this one on:

With that price, I don't think you are spending money...you are just diversifying your portfolio with OPE assets rather than cash or cash equivalents. You'll get that $ back if/when you sell it...that saw is probably done depreciating...it's all uphill from here if well maintained.
Thank you, Lukem....I agree 100% (actually already have my mind made up to buy it), but I need to have a couple of descriptive comments on here for "Da Boss" to see. I want to wake up in the morning and still have my twig and acorns on the tree, if ya know what I mean.......:eek:

With the extra Benjamin Stihl seems to be adding to the price of their new line of saws, demand is going to go up for older saws...and when demand goes up so does price. Buy now...use it...and sell it for more than you bought it for when you're done.

With the extra Benjamin Stihl seems to be adding to the price of their new line of saws, demand is going to go up for older saws...and when demand goes up so does price. Buy now...use it...and sell it for more than you bought it for when you're done.
I'll be able to pay for that the first job I do (have a pine scheduled for later this week, it's an evening job, not big at all), so monetary recovery isn't a problem. Trying to justify with my lovely wife why I need yet another chainsaw (I've got BOXES full of parts saws/projects in the loft of the barn), now that's another situation altogether.....

Every time I buy a chainsaw I tell her I will sell one......and when it comes time to sell one, I can't part with the damm things!!;em:(

Reactions: PLAYS WITH FIRE
I know what you me Scotty, I am still mourning the loss of my MS290 from last week,:-( But I think I found a good replacement....

If its in pretty good shape, thats a steal. See if he will take $100 even ;) Cant hurt to ask?

If its in pretty good shape, thats a steal. See if he will take $100 even ;) Cant hurt to ask?
already tried...:( But he said that had he just not had it serviced, and if the three new chains weren't there, I could probably have talked him down to $110.00.

I need to upgrade my limbing saws and I've been prowling for one. Well I think I found one, and it's been recently serviced, for $130.00. Three extra chains, looks to be in nice shape, should I risk being castrated and go for the deal or do I pass on it and regret it when I'm 70' up the next big tree I have to top (which will be very soon!).....I already know my answer to this one, just trolling for some input from my peeps here....;)

If I lived closer & knew where it was,

You'd be :( right now

you can't see it but it's in my avatar

Grab it & dont look back

I'll be able to pay for that the first job I do (have a pine scheduled for later this week, it's an evening job, not big at all), so monetary recovery isn't a problem. Trying to justify with my lovely wife why I need yet another chainsaw (I've got BOXES full of parts saws/projects in the loft of the barn), now that's another situation altogether.....

Every time I buy a chainsaw I tell her I will sell one......and when it comes time to sell one, I can't part with the damm things!!;em:(

I used my new to me 192 again this past weekend - it's got some minor issues but I dig it. Makes it so easy and effortless to limb trees. Buy it, you'll wonder how you've done without it for so long.

I told my wife earlier tonight that I have my old 029 sold to a coworker. No reaction. She'll never understand the fascination/addiction and will never understand why I would need another one. Im my mind it's kinda like shoes - why would anyone need more than a couple pair?

Oh yea - $130 plus extra chains is a good deal. Further justification.

lol - just had a discussion with my wife about the guns I want to buy in the next 6 months. Quoted her $2k and I would hold off on the new saw until Xmas. She shrugged her shoulders and said she thought it was going to be $5k. I love my wife.

Not to mention we already had a discussion early on in our relationship about buying and "selling" bikes, guns, tools, etc. After riding the same bike for 20 years, I finally broke down and bought a new one. One day we were talking about the new bike and she said "Well, now you can sell the Mino Denti (i.e., old bike) on e-bay". All hell broke loose then as I explained no bike, gun, tool, etc. would ever be getting sold because they all had character and a story to me.

Yeah, if you can afford the $130, go for it. If it means struggling to make the rent/mortgage, put food on the table, pay the utility bill, or other necessities, fogettaboutit.

Thing is, "I will make that money back with the first job" isn't a legit argument unless you NEED that saw to do the first job. Kind of like me making the argument that the saws paid for themselves this heating season and a new saw will pay for itself next heating season. Only way that makes sense is if I NEED the new saw to get firewood.

I will agree with everybody else too in that $130 for a MS192 is an insane deal. They are $350 brand new. I might learn to live with the plastic dogs if I found one that cheap. I also agree that you will either be able to use the saw for a long, long time, or sell it and get your money back.

CAD. As if my other hobbies aren't bad enough. 10 years ago I never would have guessed I wanted more than a single chainsaw, much less 4 of them. Thinking about buying some POS Stihls and trying to fix them up and flip them. Maybe a summer project if I have time.

Thinking about buying some POS Stihls and trying to fix them up and flip them.​

Hah, you and everybody else in the world it seems these days. :p

I already know my answer to this one, just trolling for some input from my peeps here....;)

You think to much....

As for spousal approval..... I don't gripe about the $50 a bag dog food and she has no leg to stand on regarding my tools, which are not funded via the family budget (my primary income) anyways.

I trust that she knows what's best for the dogs (and she's a saver by nature) and she understands that I know machines.

Heck, she thought the splitter was an extravagant purchase. "You could just use an axe." <>
And yet as soon as I had it fired up for the first time, she was right there splitting wood with it and smiling the whole time.;lol

The wife wants U to be safe,right ? the right saw makes the job safer

$130 w/ extras makes it a no brainer. Go get it!

Trust me, I'm gonna get it. I just needed some back-up from my peeps.....;)
I'll be doing that pine tree tomorrow or Thursday (was going to do it this evening but the sloppy weathwr has descended onto central PA), waiting for the guy to call me back about the saw to hash out the details....

Heck, she thought the splitter was an extravagant purchase. "You could just use an axe." <>
And yet as soon as I had it fired up for the first time, she was right there splitting wood with it and smiling the whole time.;lol
same with our splitter. I hand split all the wood for several years, but once the tree removal stuff started really picking up, I convinced her that we REALLY needed a splitter, and found a great deal on CL for one. Now she's glad we have it, makes a long job short and sweet.....

If you are really going to use this up in trees topping and limbing and such, I think you should hold out for a nice "T" model. You have the 2 x 015 limbers now...................get a 191/192/200T for that up in the tree use..................... you should be able to logically justify the use of a pro "arborist" saw to the Mrs for safety reasons even better.

Seems to me what you really need is a bigger "limber" to bridge the gap up to your 041.................... Since you love those older "0" series Stihls, a nice 026 would suite you better. Or, a nice cheap 031AV would fit nice! :p

If you are really going to use this up in trees topping and limbing and such, I think you should hold out for a nice "T" model. You have the 2 x 015 limbers now...................get a 191/192/200T for that up in the tree use..................... you should be able to logically justify the use of a pro "arborist" saw to the Mrs for safety reasons even better.

Ya, this is what you need http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/grd/3631325139.html I've seen people trying to get $1000 for a new one, and 500+ for a beater.

Ya, this is what you need http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/grd/3631325139.html I've seen people trying to get $1000 for a new one, and 500+ for a beater.

I've seen used 192T going for as low as $175-200 around here, 200T higher. I've thought about "upgrading" my 191T, but I just put new OEM rings and a nice used OEM crank in it (had broke the connecting rod) and its running great again.

I should've clarified it is a 192T......I'm okay using the 015's in the tree but (a) they have no chain break, which makes.them a bit risky to use, (b) they drip gas when dangling on the tether, and (c) they aren't the lightest one-handed saw in the world.....

This 192T, for the money, would be a good upgrade. Ain't no way I'm paying 600.00-up for a 20-some CC saw.....no way.

I can live with $130.00 and an ass-beating from my wife ......cause that's about what its gonna cost me! :p

Ask her if she would rather see $130 go for a saw or $500 for an ER visit and a gimped up leg.

Well, I pulled the trigger. Here's a pic. Recently serviced at a dealer, with three extra chains.....

3M43F83l05N65H85M5d2j42a8ea8de9c91030.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.