MS250C or MS290 Farm boss?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Thinking of purchasing my first saw. Will mostly use for scrounging and cleanup around the house. Basically lookign for a long lasting, dependable, one saw does all. Cannot find anything used thats good on craigslist right now. Tryign to keep my budget around 350$, both the 250 and 290 are close to this range. (30$ difference in price)

290 weighs 2 lbs more but has more power. Since I do not think the 2 pound weight difference will make a noticable difference I am leaning towards the 290.

Just curious to what everyones thoughts are.

Thanks

Chris

290 is bullet prof 2 lbs but its 10cc more!

If you are doing mostly limbing 8"- stuff 2lbs is huge and 10cc is nothing. If you are mostly bucking 10"+ stuff 2lbs is nothing and 10cc is huge.

KarlP said:
If you are doing mostly limbing 8"- stuff 2lbs is huge and 10cc is nothing. If you are mostly bucking 10"+ stuff 2lbs is nothing and 10cc is huge.

I would agree with that if I had the saw in my hands for more than 1 hr. a day.

Hi -

I'd go 290. It's got enough power to do what needs done efficiently. Scrounging I find I need to get in, get the cutting done, and load out all at once. Faster saws get me to the next step faster and fresher. I know I've gotten referal jobs from neighbors who didn't want their slow sod destroying relatives to see an opportunity for 'free' wood.

I went Dolmar/Makita myself. I could have gotten by on the one saw plan with the Dolmar 5100, and the 290 is of similar power/wieght.

Enjoy!
Mike

I have a 290 I bought used for $190. I think it is heavy for small work. I use an old mac for light work. 290 is good for big stuff 8-24" hardwood.
Look for a good used lighter unit with a 14"bar for small jobs, get a 290 w/18 for bigger stuff. Buy used, good condition stuff. It retains its value.

KarlP said:

+1

Back in September I purchased a Stihl MS250C figuring I would never need anything bigger. It has been a great saw and I will probably keep it as long as I am able to cut. But, then we felled a 40", 55 year old ash in my front yard. I learned very quickly that the MS250 is not really intended for >12" logs. It bogs down when the bar is cutting the full diameter of >10" logs.

When I ordered a truck load of logs for delivery this month the logger said some would be as large as 24" diameter. My buddy felled a large cherry in my back yard about two weeks ago. Parts of the logs were >20" diameter. I wanted to purchase a Husqvarna 372XP for bucking larger logs but was unable to start that saw. That was my problem, definitedly not the saw's. I was able to start the Stihl 362 so I purchased one w/20" bar. Used it on the cherry tree last week. Originally I believed I would need only one saw. I learned very quickly that I was wrong. So, now I have two saws and am very happy with both. Although, I still wish I had the Husaqvarna 372XP in addition to my two Stihls.

I would expect that if you limit your cutting to scrounging and cleaning up around the house, the MS250 would be an excellent choice. Other saws would also be an excellent choice. However, if you believe that some day you might get heavily into bucking loads of logs you will probably want to purchase another saw. Many believe your second and or third saws should be about 15 cc's bigger than your current saw. Just my experience. Plan ahead. Good luck. John_M

Edit: If you purchase a used saw make certain it has a chain brake and chain stop. There are recent photos of one of our members whose saw did not have a chain brake. Major lacerations across left side of face and chin from kickback. My buddy just had a chain come off a saw at full rpm's and wrap itself around the chain stop. It might have wrapped itself around his lightly protected hand if the chain stop did not intercede. :red:

All good advice, Sounds like the 290 will fit me best, and I am a more power kinda guy as well as young and in pretty good shape, so I thinkg i will take the 2 pounds as well as the extra power. unless some good deal pops up on craiglist soon. how is the 290 with an 18" bar? I will probably get a 16" for now, but it would be nice to have the 18" option if needed.

ColdNH said:
All good advice, Sounds like the 290 will fit me best, and I am a more power kinda guy as well as young and in pretty good shape, so I thinkg i will take the 2 pounds as well as the extra power. unless some good deal pops up on craiglist soon. how is the 290 with an 18" bar? I will probably get a 16" for now, but it would be nice to have the 18" option if needed.

it will run both well I would start with the 16 as well back up bar always nice.

I have a 250 with an 18" bar and it works great on most stuff but when you get to 15" and bigger more saw is needed. I am looking for a bigger saw to add right now but the 250 will still be the main workhorse because it's lighter. Trust me 2lbs is alot more than is sounds but if 1 saw is your goal the 290 with an 18" bar would be my choice.

One saw does it all = 290, but it's a pig for the power. If you're sure you'll be in smaller stuff, I would much rather the 250's weight and size, but if the possibility for bigger wood exists (and scrounging, it probably will be) and you can't swing the money for a lighter-weight version, than the 290's where it's at.

S

You will not be disappointed with the ms290. I have run four of these, my grandad and dad had 3 between them. I bought my first one last March. I have been mostly cleaning 50 acres of smaller ice storm damage stuff with few limbs or trees over 12". I haven't thought for a nano-second that I wished I had a smaller saw. They got plenty of power and good resale. I paid $380 for mine and BTW a 16 inch bar will be plenty unless you are cutting big trees.

Those first 3 290's have cut a ton of wood, never had a bit of problem out of them.

Just an idea here you have been waiting for craiglists , I would check with a few Stihl dealers , Guys always have (sawidis ) and trade saws in , I have bought several used stihls or discontinued ones . The last time I was at my favorite dealer he had almost 40 used stihls there . I bought my MS260 pro used from this dealer for 350 and it was 2 years old and the original owner was a city guy that used it to prune a few of his trees on his city lot .........The saw was like brand new with an extra saw chain , My Ms 360 got from a stihl dealear the year after the 361 replaced it , Bought that for 400 brand new off the shelf , both mt MS 180's were used one from a private party the other from a dealer 100 and 115 bucks . Another place to look is Pawn shops I picked up a brand new easy start ms250 in a case with bar oil extra chain and mix oil for 175.00 , The guy pawned it off and was never used he won it on a raffle had no use for it . The same pawn shop had a 026 there was pretty decent shape but I couldnt talk him down he wanted 150 for that . He had 10 different chainsaws there for sale .
These are just a few ideas of other places to look for a saw .
Now some of your purchase is dependant on how much wood you plan to cut along with the size . 2 lbs is a lot of wieght too carry for a bunch of hours , either saw would be great but if it was my only saw I would go the 250 route it may be slower at bucking but will be much better at brushing .

Thanks for the advice, i have been keeping a good eye on craigslist, but it seams that every decent stihl on there the owner wants way too much, I know these things hold their value which is great, but to me I dont think its worth buying a used 300$ saw when i can get the same version brand spanking new for 360$.

I have been meaning to check out the pawn shop up the road, last time i was in there i noticed a couple of saws for sale, i almost forgot to do that! i was going to run out and buy the new saw tommarow.

I will also check with the dealer if he has any nice used saws or discontinued ones.

webie said:
Just an idea here you have been waiting for craiglists , I would check with a few Stihl dealers , Guys always have (sawidis ) and trade saws in , I have bought several used stihls or discontinued ones . The last time I was at my favorite dealer he had almost 40 used stihls there . I bought my MS260 pro used from this dealer for 350 and it was 2 years old and the original owner was a city guy that used it to prune a few of his trees on his city lot .........The saw was like brand new with an extra saw chain , My Ms 360 got from a stihl dealear the year after the 361 replaced it , Bought that for 400 brand new off the shelf , both mt MS 180's were used one from a private party the other from a dealer 100 and 115 bucks . Another place to look is Pawn shops I picked up a brand new easy start ms250 in a case with bar oil extra chain and mix oil for 175.00 , The guy pawned it off and was never used he won it on a raffle had no use for it . The same pawn shop had a 026 there was pretty decent shape but I couldnt talk him down he wanted 150 for that . He had 10 different chainsaws there for sale .
These are just a few ideas of other places to look for a saw .
Now some of your purchase is dependant on how much wood you plan to cut along with the size . 2 lbs is a lot of wieght too carry for a bunch of hours , either saw would be great but if it was my only saw I would go the 250 route it may be slower at bucking but will be much better at brushing .

I have a stihl 028 which I think is just maybe half a pound lighter than the new 290, and I don't think its too heavy.

If I was you, I'd go with the 290 over the 250 - actually, I'd probably pay a little more and go with a 260, which is the same weight as the 250 and between the two with power.

my 028 is an older one - which means that its probably around 25 years old and its still running very strong and cuts at least 5 cords of wood each year - a good saw is a good investment.

Actually there are a bunch of older not old stihl saws that could fit your requirements. The 028's were great saws , Now the MS280 I know there were alot of happy owners out there , And I beleave its like only .1 HP less than a 290 . I am just trying to do this from memory but I beleave the 250 is like around a 3.0 HP the 026's now MS 260 were right around that 3.5 mark and I think maybe like 2 oz's more than a 250 , they are great saws the 026 I have must be at least 25 years old and has served me well and I use that saw alot for bucking along with my MS360 . The 036's were an excellent saw that would put you up to around 4.5 HP and about .6 lbs lighter than a 290 . Now for that same weight as a 290 you could also look at a 310 or a 390 and actaually a 440 , if you want to step up in ponies . My first stihl was my 024 and I had that along with a Homelite 360 for many years , I bought my 026 about 5 years after I had the 024 just because I liked the size and the weight and wanted a back up saw , My 361 replaced my homelite 360 when it died and the rest of my saws I pretty much found and bought when I ran across bargains . As far as used saws go I picked up a few years ago a nice 440 off of ebay for 425 with a 32 inch bar , I traded that one off for the 460 I have now .

I have an 029 that we bought new in '96. It has a 20" bar. I have used it for everything from limbing to bucking 30"+ logs. It is a little big and heavy to climb a ladder with and perhps a little underpowered for the 30"+ logs, but does everything else as long as the chain (I use Stihl yellow full chisel) is sharp and the air filter is clean. I did buy a used MS180 last year for $100 to use on the little stuff and to carry as a backup on scrounging runs. I almost never use the MS180.

well, a brand spanking new 290 is sitting in my truck right now dying to be tested out. Now i gotta scrounge 2 cords of hardwood to have this thing pay for itself. shouldnt be hard to do since I already scrounged about 3/4 of a cord in the past month thats sitting in my yard in 3-6' lengths waiting for the saw to hit it. also bought myself the 20$ chain sharpening kit that i need to figure out how to use.

any recommendations on safety chaps, they wanted 80$ for the stihl pair which I thought was pretty steep. TSC has a set of husqvarna chaps for 60$ that I will probably buy instead.

ColdNH said:
well, a brand spanking new 290 is sitting in my truck right now dying to be tested out. Now i gotta scrounge 2 cords of hardwood to have this thing pay for itself. shouldnt be hard to do since I already scrounged about 3/4 of a cord in the past month thats sitting in my yard in 3-6' lengths waiting for the saw to hit it. also bought myself the 20$ chain sharpening kit that i need to figure out how to use.

any recommendations on safety chaps, they wanted 80$ for the stihl pair which I thought was pretty steep. TSC has a set of husqvarna chaps for 60$ that I will probably buy instead.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=chaps&PageNo=1&x=12&y=8

I think you will like the 290 over the MS250...

Beowulf said:
I think you will like the 290 over the MS250...

you sir are correct!

Definitly happy i went with the 290. Cut a bunch of my scrounging wood up today and a few 4" diameter sapplings in the yard. the stuff smaller then 12 inches the saw loves, anything bigger it gets a lil boggy, but still gets the job done.

Overall I am satisfied, this saw should do exactly what i need it to do and hopefully last me a long time.

The neighbors are going to love me :D

Attachments

• IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 463
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 228
ColdNH,
Lowe's has a better version of the Husky chaps for $49--if you can find a coupon, you can get them for $45.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.