MS251 oiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Ever since I got it last season I've wondered how well the oiler was working on my MS251. I even called Stihl customer support and the guy hinted at some possible issues with this model. My dealer said the MS251 used a new oiling system that put out less oil to protect the environment so wasn't surprised it seemed less than normal. Even still I wonder if it is adequate.

Here are the results of the standard test to rev it against something to look for oil being flung. The larger spots are debris, not larger drops of oil. All I get after 3 to 5 seconds of running it at high RPM's is this streak of what I call mist. Is this adequate? I don't see any droplets, just a misty streak. Bar was cleaned about 1/4 tank of gas previously so isn't dirty.

I don't want to waste oil but wondering if this is considered adequate?

815F08B1-1F2B-4592-96D9-DF26B0FD25CE_zpswumnn5jk.jpg

Looks good to me. the earl is s.posed to stick to the chain not go flyin all over the place. You should be going thru about a tank of oil to a tank of gas.

the oiler on my MS271 has low output as well. Bought mine new last year. I actually burned a chain because it wasn't oiling properly and made my bar smoke.

My chain looked lightly oiled after doing the streak tests, but always look dry with hard bits of wood stuck fast to it as if they were cooked on. Chain looks dry when I use it in wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.