MS290 Farm boss new aftermarket cylinder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rippinryno

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2015
united states
Well i picked up a stihl ms290 in very good condition for $125, it had a cracked piston.

I was nervous to pay so much for a busted motor, but am mechanically inclined so I decided to do the china build.

I put a piston and cylinder from Russo (ebay) in it. So far so good. I will attach a photo of the new cylinder and piston.

for the price of Stihl replacement parts I was going to be looking at more investment than a new saw costs. In this case I was able to get this thing completely rebuilt and up and running for $170ish, completely worth it to me.

I see many people on this forum shun the china kits, and i also see many who just don't even recommend them. I would like to ask how many have experience putting these kits in? I've used them on several different engines and builds and while they may not be the best for a race application, i think on these small 2 strokes they are a great alternative at a fraction of the cost!

I also want to mention that my previous thread was closed due to accusations that i was selling these parts. While i have permission to start this new one, I want to be clear, just because i give positive feedback on something that has worked for me, does not mean that I am advertising a part that I am selling. I have no affiliation with ebay seller or Russo, who i purchased this from. I simply wanted to give some feedback on these setups. If you want to accuse me, just don't.

When you're talking about a Farmboss that can be brought back to life for less than $40, I believe these are worth it and after sawing for a few weeks now, the thing is holding up great. I have adjusted the high setting one time as well as the idle and it seems to carry plenty of power and chews through logs like a normal 290. I have not tried to original 20" bar, but with the 18" and aggressive chain it'll eat.

stihl_zpslpmcny3c.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, hoping to keep this one clean so that i can periodically post updates, or at least until the thing does finally go boom. My use is just a bit more than a home owner level, i'd say a heavy "home owner" use. Not commercial, but somewhere in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.