MS290 muffler mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll fine tune it and call it good with what I've already done. It is an improvement over stock and that's good enough for me. Heck, just having the limiter tabs gone and being able to fully tune it is an improvement over stock!

Just an update. Took the saw out this AM and tested it and tuned it some more on some decent hardwood that my FIL had sitting in his pile. Once the saw started, I let it idle for a few minutes and then reved it a little so that I would be working with a warm engine and could get a good tune. Next I made some light cuts and then let it idle a little more. Finally, I cracked it wide open and got a nice little four stroking sound. I leaned it out, the richened it up until I was back to the four stroking/rough sound. Then, I went at some pieces of wood. Right now, when I got WOT, the saw four strokes. As soon as you get it into the wood, it smooths out until you pull out of the cut. So, from everything I can find, I should be tuned perfectly now.

ikessky said:
Just an update. Took the saw out this AM and tested it and tuned it some more on some decent hardwood that my FIL had sitting in his pile. Once the saw started, I let it idle for a few minutes and then reved it a little so that I would be working with a warm engine and could get a good tune. Next I made some light cuts and then let it idle a little more. Finally, I cracked it wide open and got a nice little four stroking sound. I leaned it out, the richened it up until I was back to the four stroking/rough sound. Then, I went at some pieces of wood. Right now, when I got WOT, the saw four strokes. As soon as you get it into the wood, it smooths out until you pull out of the cut. So, from everything I can find, I should be tuned perfectly now.

yes sir perfect as it gets

Probably would have been an even more noticeable change had I sharpened the chain before hand! Can't wait to try a full chisel once I start cutting in a month or so.

ikessky said:
Probably would have been an even more noticeable change had I sharpened the chain before hand! Can't wait to try a full chisel once I start cutting in a month or so.

full chisel will make a big difference as well, should be a nice set up.

A buddy from work was going to look at the 290's this weekend. Hopefully he picks one up so I can see how mine runs vs his.

I own and have been arond lots of 4stroke bikes. Is this term "four stroking" the sound of a 4stroke bounding off the rev limiter? Kinda of a bouncy na-na-na-na sound? Ther term four stroking isn't very descriptive.

Kind of, I guess. Fiddle around with your H screw while the saw is at WOT once. When it's lean, it will sound very smooth. If you richen it up so that starts to sound "rough", that will be when it's four stroking. I guess Google it and see what you come up with. If you look at Madsen's page, they have some sound files that are very good.

Depends on how you do the muffler mod. On mine, the gases are still going through the baffle. It's a touch louder, but not very much. If you drill above the baffle and straight pipe it, then it will be quite a bit louder. In reality though, we should all be wearing hearing protection when running the saws.

ikessky said:
Depends on how you do the muffler mod. On mine, the gases are still going through the baffle. It's a touch louder, but not very much. If you drill above the baffle and straight pipe it, then it will be quite a bit louder. In reality though, we should all be wearing hearing protection when running the saws.

I do wear full protective gear. I just dont want the neighbors complaining.

Mine is a little louder, but not overly obnoxious. I turned the two existing slots into one larger slot and then opened up the deflector a little. The exhaust still goes through the baffle, which is really what kills the sound.

My MS 290 did get a little louder but it is not bad at all.. Now the muffler I just had modded for my 064 is going to be a screamer.....

GEDC2034.jpg

GEDC2044.jpg

The second port...
DSC00772.jpg

nice job southbound

southbound said:
Thanks but I did not do it I had a member from another forum do it up for me...

who was it brad?

southbound said:
Nope Evan.....

I know of him and thats some nice work.

Nice! I'm thinking about starting to look for a 440 that needs a rebuild. I think a dual port muffler will be in order for that one.

Ok who put them big dawgs on there?

southbound said:
They came with the saw...

The way I cut its much quicker with the bump strips and you get more out of your bar, Unless your just felling most of the time.

I have no need for this 064 I traded a 031 rear handle for what was supposed to be a running 066..It turned out to be a 064 with a bad P&C...
So this saw will be my felling saw for the big stuff the 038 wont like...

I have no need for a 440 either. ;) But why not? I won't get serious about a different saw until the kids can start cutting with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.