MS290 Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbound

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2008
mid south tn
Got to the shop this am and one of the crew came to me and asked if I wanted his ms290..I had to ask how much I know it has not been run much... Well had to wait till the end of the day but I bought it... It will need some carb work it has sat for a long time...

Attachments

• DSC04340 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04340 (Medium).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 618
  • DSC04344 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04344 (Medium).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC04345 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04345 (Medium).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 629
  • DSC04346 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04346 (Medium).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 622
O it has a 20 inch bar..The chain is dull as he knows not how to sharpen one... My BIL was mad I bought it he needs a new saw bad...I'm thinking of working a trade where I get his 031,041 and some cash...

southbound said:
O it has a 20 inch bar..The chain is dull as he knows not how to sharpen one... My BIL was mad I bought it he needs a new saw bad...I'm thinking of working a trade where I get his 031,041 and some cash...

lol how much?

Yuo can't get away with calling it a score if you don't tell us how little you paid for it.

Good saw for sure. How old is it?

yeah, how much?

I am waiting to receive one I got on ebay for $ 178.00

I've been watching them for awhile and in good shape they go for upper $ 250 - $300 used on ebay .

I hate not seeing it in person - it's such a gamble buying from a picture and a sellers post. I hope it's a good one.

Yours looks to be in good shape! Congrats and I hope it does you well for years.

Sorry!!!!

It is a year old,see we had a flood a real bad one and FEMA came to this guy and told him to pick up a saw at the co op and they would cover it..So he goes and picks out a MS 290..He then cleans up a few trees at his house and throws it in the shed. Well now it is Christmas and he needs money so he cranks it with the gas that was leftover in it and brings it to me... So $150 later it is mine..Now I think I will sell it to my bil for $200 and his 031...He does not want me to fix it because I will raise the price.. See I go to the dealer and tell them to install a fuel line and filter impulse line and rebuild the carb it will be around $50 but if he takes it to his backwoods saw guy he will jerry rig it for $15 or so and that's how the bil works.....

It is dirty but there is hardly a scratch on it..Once I clean it and paint and mod the muffler it will look as new...This thing has sat in his shed you know the kind no doors you can see threw the wall roof leaks and so on.. I am guessing that is why the muffler is rusted.....

Good price.

Got time to look at this saw today...

Turns out it has a 18 inch bar....

The fuel line is what has failed and believe it or not I'm having the shop install the new one..

I had them run the serial number and I was lied to it was sold in 03 so it is 7 years young..Can't tell it to see it tho still feel I got a deal on this one....

Now I need to decide what to do with it sell or keep????

southbound said:

The fuel line is what has failed and believe it or not I'm having the shop install the new one..

I had them run the serial number and I was lied to it was sold in 03 so it is 7 years young..Can't tell it to see it tho still feel I got a deal on this one....

Sell it! feed the addiction....lol

smokinjay said:
southbound said:

Addiction???? what addiction???

I don't have a problem....

Wait could that be why my wife has been on me lately??? "none of my friends have saws in their bedrooms"

It's not just me is it????????

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:

Addiction???? what addiction???

I don't have a problem....

Wait could that be why my wife has been on me lately??? "none of my friends have saws in their bedrooms"

It's not just me is it????????

No its not and from time to time you throw one back to the saw God's in hopes of a better one in return! lol

Ok so I got a call early this am the saw was fixed BUT it had the wrong bar and chain..3/8 instead of .325.. I had thought this but not looked real hard... So I ran my 20 inch .325 off the ms 290 I have and had them install it...Now before I left my wife tells me to go ahead and have the folks at the shop lay some stuff to the side for me and she will run down and pay for it and give it to me for Christmas... So I they got out a box and threw in a 20 inch es bar two chains and a rim to swap my 290 to 3/8.. I also threw in a dp cover for my 046.... I left a list of stuff for them to suggest to my wife while she is there as well.......

southbound said:
Ok so I got a call early this am the saw was fixed BUT it had the wrong bar and chain..3/8 instead of .325.. I had thought this but not looked real hard... So I ran my 20 inch .325 off the ms 290 I have and had them install it...Now before I left my wife tells me to go ahead and have the folks at the shop lay some stuff to the side for me and she will run down and pay for it and give it to me for Christmas... So I they got out a box and threw in a 20 inch es bar two chains and a rim to swap my 290 to 3/8.. I also threw in a dp cover for my 046.... I left a list of stuff for them to suggest to my wife while she is there as well.......

LOL Thats using your head.....

That is right she has to run to town today :)

We got a half inch of snow yesterday that is all but gone and they called off work due to snow.. I can't wait for deer season to end maybe I will get back to work..

southbound said:
We got a half inch of snow yesterday that is all but gone and they called off work due to snow..

Whut?

Southerners <snicker, snicker> :lol:

Jags said:
southbound said:
We got a half inch of snow yesterday that is all but gone and they called off work due to snow..

Whut?

Southerners <snicker, snicker> :lol:

Its deer season there. They shutter down because Jimbo cousin still settin on a deer tag doing nothing......Aunt Betty said we can use her frezer if we cleaner out first. Thats atleast a 4 man crew and 8 hour shift....I have two friends who got busted on this last season..lol

you are correct sir's!!!!!

Heck the sun is shinning and it is tee shirt weather again.... They think because we work 4 tens that if we miss a day no one minds making it up on Fri... I like my 3 day weekends better then a 4 day and then a 2 day weekend..

southbound said:
O and I'm what they call here a damn yankee .. Moved here from MA 20 years ago......

LOL I am sure your a Yankee........They are hunting and you want the money!

So I got board and decided to mod the muffler on this puppy... I also pulled off the limiter caps on the carb...

I also took a few more pic's to try and show how little this saw has been run. Now remember it was bought in 2003... No wear on the sprocket no clogging of the screen and the piston is minty...

Attachments

• DSC04347 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04347 (Medium).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC04352 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04352 (Medium).jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC04353 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04353 (Medium).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC04357 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04357 (Medium).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 189
Oh Yea, That's brand New!

Yes I believe it is... He told me that he had only run a tank or two but he also told me it was no more then 1 and a half years old.....

You can't see it in this pic but if I zoom in on it you can see every line on the piston....

One last thing here my wife just left for the shop to get my box of Christmas parts........................

Status
Not open for further replies.