MS310 with a 16" bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Switched bars on my ms310. Went from a 20" 3/8 bar/chain to a 16" .325 combo. The saw now cuts much faster. There was a time that I though about getting rid of the saw because I have a Dolmar 5100 and ms310 was not getting any saw time. The 20" 3/8 bar makes it look tough but the 16" bar cuts better IMO. Now I run both saws a tank of gas each then sharpen. Both saw have the cheap chain/bar combo on from Bailie"s. They seem fine for right now. I have @ 6 cords to buck so they will work for now.

Bought mine with an 18" bar. Seems to be a perfect all-around length for what I'm cutting. I got by with a Craftsman 42cc for 2 years before buying the Stihl. Same bar length but a world of difference.

johnsopi said:
Switched bars on my ms310. Went from a 20" 3/8 bar/chain to a 16" .325 combo. The saw now cuts much faster. There was a time that I though about getting rid of the saw because I have a Dolmar 5100 and ms310 was not getting any saw time. The 20" 3/8 bar makes it look tough but the 16" bar cuts better IMO. Now I run both saws a tank of gas each then sharpen. Both saw have the cheap chain/bar combo on from Bailie"s. They seem fine for right now. I have @ 6 cords to buck so they will work for now.
smaller bars to me, aways seem to be faster!

Status
Not open for further replies.