MS361 & MS390 to buy or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieT

Aug 13, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Hey guys thanks for having me!
I have an opportunity to buy both of these saws.
The MS 390 the guy wants $150 comes with 20 in bar/chain..."had it for 3 yrs no issues, no leaks...does not know how to run a compression test...looks decent in the pics!
The mS361 is $250 OBO...talked with the guy once...and he sounds slightly desperate & a little fruity (he asked about my shoulder to hip ratio)!:eek:o_O:eek:
Said his Pa gave it to him...and it's in excellent shape and I can cut a log or two with it...no leaks...says it has excellent compression, yet doesn't remember said compression...but may let it go for less than $250!

Here is the deal: Both deals are a least 4 hrs round trip drive running wide freaking open!
My only motivation is get them clean em up & flip them for some spare change!

What a you guys thoughts?
Thanks,
Reg
MS390.jpg
MS361.jpg

They'd be good prices if close by, but 4 hours' round trip is further than I'd go for either. If they were close to each other I might drive that far to get both of them. If you want to be rational about this sort of stuff then you have to consider the cost of gas, wear and tear on your car, risk that something significant is wrong, and the value of your time.

Reactions: TreePointer
+1
If local, I'd definitely have a look. 4 hrs? Not a for me.

Both look like they've likely been worked/transported hard. Faded letters and numbers. On one, the flywheel cover is white but the rear handle is old yellow-white (frankensaw?).

Get the 361 shipped. Or find something of interest near where the saw is. Brewery,winery, museum, o whatever floats your boat. Make a day of it and bring the wife or gf.

Great Idea. I pulled this one on the wife last year when I needed to go to Savannah to pick up some "PEW-PEW-PEW's". Not once did she complain when I said we were making a day trip to the beach....she just shook her head when I told her we had to make a stop on the way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.