MS460 For Sale Nearby

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
A little mouse told me that Stihl is going to be discontinuing the 440 and the 460 pretty soon.

A little mouse told me that Stihl is going to be discontinuing the 440 and the 460 pretty soon.
440 has already been discontinued once. ;lol With the replacement models already on the shelf, I think you're furry friend might be right.

Well, surely they will continue making and selling them in places like Brasil and South Africa. The 440 was brought back as it was a great selling saw, and they got aroud the EPA somehow on that for a while longer. The 461 is coming online now and the 441 has been out for a looooong time now. The 461 has improved air injection on the exhaust side so that the startified air is heated instead of cold, like on the 441. The feedback on the 461 is pretty good so far. It also weighs the same as the 460, with the same power, so no losses on power to weight ratio as with the 441 vs. the 440 (or the 362 vs the 361).

The 231, 251 and a 271 have been out in Europe and Australia now for a while. They are the new mid-range line of saws likely to be sold here at some point.

So what's the point of the 461 if it's the same power and weight of the 460?

He must've sold it cause I clicked the link & its gone.

So what's the point of the 461 if it's the same power and weight of the 460?

Two things mainly: the newer US EPA smog requirements and newer EU AV requirements. Stihl never revised its entire linup becasue they wanted to. They are doing it becasue they have to. AV on the 230, 250, 390, 460 and 650 model saws are pretty bad. AV is terrible on the 180 and 880. All the new Stihl saws have cleaner burning and better gas use strato-engine EPA engines, and spring mount AV on them. The strato-engines have air injection porting so that there is a buffer of air between fuel mix so that air gets pushed out at the end of the exhaust cycle, rather than unburned fuel.

I hear/read that they are working on fuel injected saws now for the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.