ms660 v 395xp v ps9010

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Not 100% sure if I will take the dive or not, but seriously considering a NEW saw. Leaning heavily towards Stihl. Any reason to consider the other guys? I'm sure i'd be happy with any of these saws. Let's also forget about dealerships for this particular discussion. I don't know any big Husqy users, nor Dolmar users, anybody here use these saws (PS I do plan on milling with this)

I have a 385xp with 32" bar and an alaskan mill. It seems to work fine. However, if I were buying new TODAY I would get a 390xp instead of the 385. Its 98% the same saw. The other 2% are slightly more displacement and slightly stronger clutch. Might be worth the extra $100 if you are milling.

3 great choices.....Only thing I would add, there is some nice older saws out there. The most important thing is the size of wood. 20 inch and down low volume a 70cc saw would work to. Get much over 30 inch and a 110cc and bigger can be a dog fight.

What type and size you looking at?

Unless you want to own a saw for every occassion I don't recommend a 90cc saw. There are plenty of real capable 70-80cc saws out there for big wood that will be much lighter to use. As SJ said unless you are running a 28-36" bar everyday 90cc makes no diff. Never run a 9010 but have tested the 660 against the 395 several times. Its a toss up and neither saw is real impressive IMO. My SOLO 681 can spank both even in big wood. But if you want to mod a saw then the 660 will come alive with some mods. And I can give you a name and # for a guy who really have the 660 mods dialed in.

For a good used milling saw I recommend Husky 288XP with high performance air filter,6.7HP & 9600RPM/13,000 WOT. :coolgrin: They pop up on Ebay & elsewhere fairly often.Demand seems to be strong.

I was sorely tempted with a new 390XP (same displacement & HP) until I seen the price tag lol

Status
Not open for further replies.